Can I live on my Social Security?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - 3000 dollars a month of spending money... oh man I'd be living the LIFE. I could rent my dream house (already found it for 1300 dollars a month rent... a girl can dream, right?) then go on vacation every weekend! Ya'll would be invited to all my wild parties.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Cost of alcoholic beverages

For some the cost of alcoholic beverages would need to be factored into any calculation of whether retiring here on Social Security would be doable- so here's some examples of some prices I've run across recently as well as what you could expect to pay normally:

Smirnov's Vodka- 1L 105 pesos at Chedraui (normally 123 pesos at Europa)

Superior Beer
    - ten cans for 48 pesos at Walmart's (normally sold in eight can lots at 57 pesos in the supermarkets)

My experience with buying wines that have been marked down has not been good so I'll just mention the regular prices for wines

For red wines Vina Maipo from Chile remains a good buy at 54-60 pesos per bottle: sold in many supermarkets in Cancun

White wine drinkers can find Concho y Toro- also from Chile- Savignion Blanc at 72 pesos in the supermarkets: it may represent the least expensive yet drinkable white wine available

Europa- across from Walmart- seems to pretty consistently offer the better price on distilled liquors of all kinds but you can see bargains in the supermarkets occasionally as in the case of the Smirnov's at Chedraui this week

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    & needless to say the cost of drinking "out" will be many, many times higher...

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Two for One

That's certainly true Life: two for one deals offered at some bars-restaurants can help out a little but they're still making a nice profit on their drinks

La Taberna consistently offers two for one drinks with beers costing about 48 pesos for two

Beer at the baseball games is 25 pesos

Los de Guanatos at the bull ring sells its beers for 20 pesos each

Those who do most of their drinking in bars will find this can become a significant drag on the modest budget we've been looking at on this thread

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Code:
    La Taberna consistently offers two for one drinks with beers costing about 48 pesos for two
    That's not a 2x1 deal - La Taberna just makes you drink two beers at a time for 48 pesos. If it is 2x1 then it's one of the most expensive places for 1 beer (48 pesos) in Cancun!

6. Gringation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mat - pretty much every bar in Cancun does that.

My favorite is Planet Bowl... On the drink list they have a column with the normal prices, alongside ANOTHER column with the *more expensive* 2 for 1 price. WTF??

7. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gringation - I disagree, most places I go to have the option to buy 1 beer for somewhere between 15 and 30 pesos - La Taberna as far as I can see doesn't have that option and would chrge you the 48 pesos and give you 2 beers even if you just wanted one - I might be wrong though.

8. Gringation

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mat - Sorry, I meant to say that when you see "2x1" advertised, it's rarely the case. Can't say I've ever seen anyone get 2 beers for 15 - 30 pesos anywhere, but I might be wrong too.

Anyone remember how much the 3 for 1 beers cost at Los Arcos?

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good point Matkirk!

In answer to your question Gringation I seem to remember Los Arcos charging 49 pesos for three beers so they are cheaper than La T

Lowest beer prices I've seen in cafes and restaurants around here is 15 pesos so it's still far cheaper to drink at home with your friends- especially if they do the Mexican thing Gringation has talked about and go out to buy more beer themselves after they've polished off everything you had on hand!

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The whole "2x1" thing is just a mind game most times... you're paying the same or close to the same as individual beers would cost. It's the same mentality that make us more likely to buy something if its $99.99 instead of $100...

Gringation.. yeah gotta love that.. the places where "2x1" is actually "2x1.7" on the price list... :rolleyes: course I guess "2x1" could mean they bring both at "1" time and have nothing to do with the price.. :icon_mrgreen:

Now the thing that sold me on La Taberna is that they have cocktails at some reasonable prices and are also "2x1" although they keep creeping the prices up a few pesos ever few months so its loosing some of the value... BUT the one on Yaxcilian did just get some nice new pool tables so that will keep me going for now... :biggrinbandit:If you goal in life is to get drunk, you can drink at home as V pointed out for very little, and there are places with "10 pesos" beer where you can get blasted.. but I think most of us have grown out of that....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice