Cablemas Outgoing Mail Server??

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunGringa, Sep 17, 2008.

1. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

When I recently moved to a new apartment, and finally got internet again through Cablemas, I can receive e-mail on my domain name email accounts using Outlook, but can't send any e-mails.

I get this error:
    Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I've always had Cablemas internet here and never had this problem until I moved to a new apartment.

Shortly after this problem showed up, I went back to the U.S. for awhile, and I could receive/send emails just fine. Now that I've returned to Cancun, I've got the same problem: I can receive emails, but can't send them. So I'm thinking the problem is with Cablemas, correct? Are they requiring me to use their outgoing SMTP server rather than the one provided with my domain?

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what the outgoing SMTP server is for Cablemas? I've done a web search on this error, and can't make sense of the suggested solutions considering I can send e-mails just fine from another ISP.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Sounds like Cablemas have instigated what Prodigy did a while back.

Here's the thread where we discussed it:

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36568

I use a paid for third party application as my outgoing mail server. It really annoys me as it's not like I want Prodigy to actually send the mail (I dont even know my prodigy settings) I should be able to use my domains for that - but Prodigy wont let me send via my own server.

I have no idea why Prodigy allows me to send via the third party application and not my own domains, but it works so I give up investigating at that point :)

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try changing your outgoing SMTP port to 587. Leave your incoming POP3 port at the default 110.

You do this in the Tools > Accounts Menu. Click on the account to change, and then select the "More Settings" button. Then select the Advanced Tab.

I'm assuming you're using Outlook akthough the same settings hold true in Outlook Express. Also I assume we're not talking about Gmail's POP and SMTP settings, which are unique to Gmail.

Good luck and let us know if it worked. There is a more complex solution, but give this one a try first.

4. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Woo hoo! I changed the outgoing SMTP port to 587 and now it works. Thanks so much mixz1! :clap: (Maybe it will work for you too Steve on Prodigy??)

And for anyone else that runs into this, yes, I'm using Outlook (not Outlook Express) and it's the mail accounts for my web site, not a service like Gmail.

5. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had this problem for 10 months now on one of the domains i use for work, one day it just stopped sending through prodigy. Although i could receive on it, i couldn't send at all and had used hotmail to send until we got another work domain, which sends fine through prodigy, which lead me to believe they blacklisted the original domain (which is strange as i don't spam or anything and am the only person using that domain in Mexico). I tried Mixz1's method but made no difference, i've just had to live without sending on the original domain but it would be nice to get it fixed, i get exactly the same error as CancunGringa gets.

I'll take a look at the other topic to see what you all did for Prodigy.

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Me to, I have cablemas and one day it just stopped working....about the time they blocked limewire as well!

Gonna try the "Mixz1 Fix" when i get home from work!

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me know how you do. If you could PM me the domain and mailserver address, I can check the blacklisting for you, although one-way blacklisting is unusual. It's probably something else. Let me know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice