Cablemas Int'l Channels

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Susan in Cancun, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cable

JL,

Thanks for the info! I have made a note of the manager's name and it is already in my purse.

I'm not giving up until I have the channels I want!

And, no, you didn't email me recently.

Susan

2. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cable

Good news! I have the channels I wanted! Yaaay!

This morning, I went back to Cablemas....armed with TJ's Cablemas bills showing that he has the service I wanted and that he does not live in the hotel zone. After a wee bit of bitching, moaning, and begging, I got the channels! hurray! It helped that the guy I was talking to spoke English. I can rant and rave MUCH better in English, of course. The process took less than 30 minutes.

I am afraid I will lose the coveted US channels if the power goes out or something, but we'll hope for the best.

Gracias to TJ for meeting me so I could have visible proof that people downtown do, in fact, have US channels.

Thanks to everyone else that insisted I just keep bitching and asking for higher-ups. It worked! Now, I'm afraid, I'll NEVER get any work done. I'll be too busy catching up on my soaps. ;-)

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yay it worked! Congrats!

4. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good! Actually I did the same, I got my service because I had my next door neighbor's bill in hand. He had the service, they claimed they couldn't reach my door (like 50 cm). They have to be pushed :roll: it seems a bit strange to me...

Did you deal with Roberto? He speaks perfect English, and has nice blue eyes :wink:

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cable

JL,

Yes, I spoke with Roberto. I started out speaking to a girl and then she went to Roberto and he got it worked out...after going to talk to HIS manager, apparently. The girl that started out helping me was the same girl I spoke to the other day. She didn't seem happy to be doing the work to give me what I wanted. It really does seem to be a strange way to do business and nobody seems to know what services they even offer. Oh well, I got my fabulous "normal" channels now and I couldn't be happier.

Aside from the int'l channel fiasco, I'd like everyone to know that Cablemas was fairly efficient and had techs there when they said they would be there. They called to make an appointment for the techs to come out and called me when they were on the way. My cable box broke after about 15 minutes so they sent a tech out the next day. Someone from Cablemas called while that guy was in my home just so they could find out if he was fixing the problem. (they might've asked more stuff but my spanish REALLY sucks over the phone.) I was very impressed. A few years ago decent service didn't exist at Cablemas. They seem to be making more of an effort these days. Hopefully, it will continue to get better.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FYI

1. Susan and I met at 8 am which is the time they open according to their website. Of course they were closed and the sign on the door said 9 am. So she went to OXXO for a healthy breakfast.

2. Cancun Gringa showed up on other business. I did not know the party animal knew what mornings are.

3. The Lopez Portillo office, from the corner of Bonampak, is on the left as you are going towards Pto Juarez. There are some 5 story apt/condo buildings on the right and Cablemas is not much farther but on the left.

4. I wonder why it is so hard to buy something that they have for sale. ABC and NBC are "options" to the International Package, hey, they are International channels, and the cost is $15.45 per month EACH. Over a year ago, when I switched from Skye to Cablemas, they told me they had no such channels available. I called Liz while I was sitting at the new cusotmer desk, who gave me great advice. First she told me the channel numbers, 284 and 286. She asked if there were 2 TV's hanging on the wall behind the employee desks, and there were. She asked if I could see a remote on the desk, and I could. She told me to grab it and key in 2-8-4 and then to tell the lady, THAT IS WHAT I WANT YOU ------- MORON. Well, I didn't follow that instruction exactly but I did walk out of there with ABC and NBC,

5. My second bill, and everyone since, shows Mes Play Boy instead of NBC. I never noticed this until when I was getting my paperwork to help Susan. But I searched for the Playboy Channel and I don't have it. Just a billing deal they use for some reason.

6. As Jen pointed out, and Susan confirmed, Roberto is the guy to ask for if you have any problems at the Chichen Itza office. I was a new customer so went to the desks on the left as you go in. Existing customers take a number from the wall on the right and wait to be called.

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The question really is.....should it be THIS difficult to get channels that THEY OFFER?

TJ, you still have your humor I see. lol. GOOD!

8. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just be glad you have some channels, we have been down with Internet, Cable AND Telephone for 4 days. It finally returned (noe at a time lastnight)
    Pinche Cablemas!!! :cool:

9. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cable

Supposedly, they only offer these 2 particular channels with packages in the hotel zone (only to hotels from what I understand). It seems silly to only have it available (or shall I say "easily accessible") for people in the hotel zone. I'm sure that the majority of the people buying the international package are foreigners that would probably enjoy some English programming so why not just include the channels in that package ALWAYS??

Oh, I forgot to mention that, when I signed up for digital cable, I asked about getting 2 cable boxes for my house. The woman writing up my order actually told me I couldn't have more than one in my house. I said, "but i have 2 tvs and want cable in both rooms". She wasn't having that. I figured, ok, this is Mexico and things are weird so maybe that is just the way Cablemas rolls. When the techs were at my house, I asked them about adding another box and they said it wasn't a problem at all. Also, at the Chichen Itza office, the girl I spoke with said there was no problem adding another box. So, obviously the girl at Plaza Las Americas is clueless.

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Liz, you are the funny one. But I don't think I misquoted you too badly. Je je.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice