C.F.E.-feel the love

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, May 22, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    C.F.E. has both raised the rates and reduced the amount of electricity they are subsidizing: most people will notice the difference, in their bills.

In tariff class 1C the amount of consumption that will benefit from a subsidy in the summer has been reduced from 900 KWH to 675 KWH; and, the top rate, which kicks in at anything above 675 KWH of consumption, is now 2.736 pesos/KWH.

My bills are still relatively low but I'm concerned about the trend....

Last evening I spent a couple of hours with a group of newcomers to Cancun: one couple related that they had given up using their a/c, owing to the high rates. Their first electric bill was 6,000 pesos, for two month's service.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Aguakan also raised their cost. Ridiculous.

I got my highest ever CFE bill the other day, landing on 189 pesos.

Usually its never higher than 100.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Still making your own candles, eh Rawkus?

For the benefit of those who don't live here, Rawkus is speaking about two months of consumption, because we are billed every other month here in Mexico. He gets the maximum benefit of the subsidies, and very low bills, because his consumption is very small, on average. For those who find ceiling fans adequate summer cooling very low bills are possible, even here.

4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha, no candles ;)

My flat is covered by two floors(stories) above me and a house in the back that absorb all the sunshine, so even during the worst heat, there is a constant draft of fresh air running through the apartment.

Also, I basically just sleep in the flat. Lets just say: I didnt move to this city to sit indoors - every chance I get, Im outside doing stuff. Lately Im kayaking in the Nichupte Lagoon, looking and taking pics of our beloved crocs :) Ill stop here before going off track too much ;)

I keep my consumption to a minimum, through my own measures. Windows have the "plastic" screen that reflects the sun, plus that the curtains are noise and heat canceling curtains(black out curtains I believe they are called?) Not cheap, but in 2-4 months, that cash has been "reimbursed" through lower CFE bills.

My neighbor upstairs uses A/C daily, but he sets it on a timer and he rarely gets bills more than 450 pesos for the 2-month period.

One friend in the Hotel Zone can barely even glance at her A/C remote before her bill goes through the roof...

V, do you happen to know if the HZ has, in general, higher rates?

5. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They're apparently trying to run their ac's like they did back home, which is rather wasteful. My bill with 3 ac's running off and on was $1200, a lot less than I ever saw back in the states. Even with the higher rates, I'll still be much better off. Besides, do you think the electric rates back home have been standing still? I never felt a lot of love from my light company back home.

6. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    try living in the hotel zone where we do not get subsidies and lower rates, my bill last month in my 4 bedroom unit was 7519 and we get billed monthly. My unit is 2500 sq feet under air, my home in the US A is in South Florida similar climate and is 3100 sq feet and my bill was $215 . The bills are triple to quadruple in Cancun hotel zone then in Florida

7. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got my bill today and it's the lowest I have ever had at $131 pesos. I am usually hoving around $180-$220.

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ToriĀ“s candles are clearly better than mine.

;)

10. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hahaha!!! I am quite shocked as I haven't changed anything, and I am home more now. I DO NOT run my AC. I am cool with just the ceiling fan. Maybe in a few times in the summer I run the AC to cut the humidity so I can fall asleep. Let's see how the end of July bill compares. But I am not nervous of every hittting near $500 pesos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice