Buying groceries/liquor in the hotel zone

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by birxalie, Jan 6, 2011.

1. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know you want to avoid walmart but if your on a budget you need to hit it. BUT I always love the trip down town to that area!! You can hit Market 28th before you go to Walmart also!

2. Princess015690

Princess015690 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    What are good restuaruants near walmart, and is the water still down in that area filtered, or is it only safe in the hotel zone?

3. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can also buy on line and get your drinks, beerks, ice and chips at your hotel room, try www.soriana.com hotel zone zip code is 47500

4. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the topic of liquor, there is a farmacia in front of the the Plaza Flamingo shopping mall that has excellent prices. It took me by surprise, but I found Corralejo Reposado tequila for considerably less at this place than at any other location in the Hotel Zone. On another plus side, they sell a lot of snack items and there is a pharmacy on premises as well. For higher end choices and wonderful food items, definitely check out the La Europea located just south of La Isla Shopping Village shopping mall.

212eric (Author)

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Princess - Everywhere serves bottled water downtown and the ice is all purified. I brush my teeth with tap water and could drink it most likely, but I choose not to. But if you are a water drinker stick with bottles. I have ordered "agua natural con hielo" many times without problems and not paid the price for the bottled.

A great little restuarant is Super Carnes. As you get off the bus from the HZ, it is across the street at the next light, to the right of Elektra, which is bright yellow with red letters. Try the Paquette de Arrachara. Yummy.

A bit more upscale but not pricy, is La Troje. It is on Acenceh, which is sort of the extension of Labna, the street that runs beside Sam's which is next to Walmart. Incredible salads (Ensalada Margarita is my favorite) and crepes. Best to take a taxi but you could walk it in 10 minutes. Just head down Labna/Acenceh and stay to the right of VIPS. About 2 more blocks on your left.

There are other good places but a tourist could never find them easily. Depends on how fancy or how native you want to try.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice and casual. I forgot La Creperia. On the right just before the Walmart bus stop from the HZ. Just walk back the way you came. More popular for breakfast and lunch. Healthy choices when you consider their bakery which is a part fo the restaurant.

7. Princess015690

Princess015690 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    darn.. tj please tell me you live there.. maybe you cna meet up with us, and show us some places! lol

8. YogiHilt

YogiHilt Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey, we've been there 17 years, and have owned for past 7 years in hotel zone. No need to go into Cancun for sam's, Walmart or Chedraui.. they now have what is called a Super Walmart on Bonampak Ave. Bonampak Ave is at the 1st traffic light leaving the hotel zone(instead of traveling a few miles into town). Get off bus at light, walk to the right a few hundred yards.. Walmart's on the right, next to the Pemex Gas Station. Walmart Prices, good stock. Would probably be cheaper and easier to get cab back to your hotel if you get a big order. Cab would prob be $5-7 from there. But take bus if you all can carry bags. Busses are part of the fun of Cancun.

9. Traestree

Traestree Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yogihilt, take the bus to walmart and then ride a cab back its the best way,we just got back and spent about 120 dollars in walmart and did just like you stated tried to keep the cost down and at the same time have some good food.
    And while there make sure you get some of there awesome fruit.

10. CLW

CLW Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I "walked" the route that you stated and found the Pemex station, but there is no Walmart there unless Google maps is out of date. It is an empty lot next to the Pemex station.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice