Buying alcohol

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by BCE4800, Mar 28, 2008.

1. TerryB

TerryB I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    want to know aout new perks for members

HOLA, want to know if any members have gone yet and if any of the promised perks happaned, Will be there in 2 weeks, would like to speak for any body thats not happy or is happy
    Terry

2. djalbe

djalbe Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Booze at Duty Free

Last July, after we landed in Cancun I bought a bottle of JW Black at the Duty Free for my buddy who kindly made our Premier Reservations. I had no problem going thru security and making it to the hotel; BBC. We brought it down to the pool area and about 6 of us polished it off. What a BUZZ !! Didn't realize I could dance like that :-o

You shouldn't have any problem buying booze at Duty Free and bringing it back to your hotel. Walmart should be as cheap as they come also, but I haven't gone myself. If you plan on bringing your "specialty" booze to the pool area, don't forget to share....but you should transfer it into a plastic water bottle so there's no broken glass issues by the pool. No one plans accidents, but with oily hands, and intoxication setting in before noon, it could happen.

Have a drink on me... no really, go for it !

-DJ

3. LemonHead

LemonHead Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "When in Rome... go to Wal-Mart".

The locals in Cancun shop WallyWorld for good prices and I concur. You can shop at the Doodie Free shop on the way 'into' Cancun but the prices for local liquors are more than you would pay for the same thing, with tax at WallyWorld. Imported items I can't say for sure but for Mexican spirits you can do better. And an afternoon trip into downtown Cancun for lunch at a local restaruant, a trip to the Mercado and a last stop at Wal-Mart is hardly a waste of time. It's getting some local culture and a few bargans to boot. In my opinion that's a bit part of what a vacation is all about.

This is just my opinion but I don't think a few hundred thousand locals can be too wrong.

4. TerryB

TerryB I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hola ditto here, for any walmart going American walmart is a must see. Its soooo interesting, and so much cheaper than the Holet district.
    Terry

5. LemonHead

LemonHead Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure if I'm reading your response correctly but you might be thinking I'm saying Wal-Mart is some kind of culture. Far From It!

It's a royal shit hole by U.S. or Mexican standards. However, prices are good and options are many. Combine that with the great downtown, hole-in-the-wall food options and the Mercados, I think it's a great afternoon of time and money well spent. If you don't want to hang with the locals for an afternoon of food and shopping then enjoy your Cancun the way you like.

As to your "Holet" district, I'm not familiar. Could you tell me more?

6. logic7

logic7 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    buying at the duty free is ok, but you can't get the swill that is Alcopop at duty free.

Seriously... Has anyone else on this board tried one of the alcopops you can get in Cancun (that's not available in the States)???

Just for grins and giggles, I want everyone to try the alcoholic cola they sell in the pharmacy across the street from Temptations. You havent lived until you drink something so foul you can't shake the taste for a full day.

7. W&K

W&K Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Re: Booze at Duty Free

You also can give the bottle to the bartender....they will keep it behind the bar for you and you only, they will serve it for you, and they will secure it with their other liquor for the night....so you don't have to bring it to the pool day after day....my wife likes good vodka...so we did this last year and had no problems....any time we went for a drink he asked us if we wanted our "good stuff". They would also use it for the frozen/mixed drinks if we wished. This saved on the wicked vodka Blat hangovers!!! This is a good option if you don't want to keep good liquor in a plastic bottle...don't forget a tip....

8. kim-n-john

kim-n-john Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hahah sounds great can't wait to check those out !

9. Theoriginalparrotthead

Theoriginalparrotthead I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Re: Booze at Duty Free

Not sure if this is what you're asking about...... but this is exactly what we did and it worked like an absolute charm! They just write your room number on the bottle with a sharpie and when ever you want a shot or mixed drink from your bottle, you just tell them your room number. Last trip we went with two other couples. We all bought several bottles at the liquor store across the street from Walmart and just had the bartender put all three room numbers so anyone in our little party could enjoy at any time. ***Definitely don't forget to TIP*** The staff will remember not only your face but your name and this always got us excellent service (in any area of the resort). I am a vodka drinker as well and I'm sure that getting my own good bottle is what saved me from the 'wicked vodka Blat hangovers', too!!! JMO

You also can give the bottle to the bartender....they will keep it behind the bar for you and you only, they will serve it for you, and they will secure it with their other liquor for the night....so you don't have to bring it to the pool day after day....my wife likes good vodka...so we did this last year and had no problems....any time we went for a drink he asked us if we wanted our "good stuff". They would also use it for the frozen/mixed drinks if we wished. This saved on the wicked vodka Blat hangovers!!! This is a good option if you don't want to keep good liquor in a plastic bottle...don't forget a tip....[/quote]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice