bus system....confusion

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by i300, Jan 16, 2008.

1. i300

i300 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been reading on this website as well as others about the bus system and I'm pretty confused. I am only interested in the bus that goes from the hotel zone to downtown/nightlife. Which route is it? I was on the official website and I couldn't figure it out. I've also heard that the fares are $60 pesos...other people said $6 pesos. What would a cab cost for this route? Does anyone know how late they run? Thanks very much.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I'd guess you're getting a little confused because of the term "downtown".

Downtown is where the city of Cancun is, it's not the party centre of the hotel zone. Lots of people refer to where all the big nightclubs are as "downtown" when that is not the case at all. It's safer to refer to that area as the "Party Centre". If you ask for directions to downtown you may end up somewhere totally different to where you wanted to be.

There is only one road and hence only one bus route that runs the length of the Hotel Zone strip. Bus fare from anywhere in the Hotel Zone to anywhere else in the Hotel Zone is 6.5 pesos, so that's about 70 cents in USD. The buses run 24/7 and very frequently.

As for taxis it really depends where you are going from and to, the hotel zone strip is around 18 miles long from one end to the other and price will vary accordingly.

3. Snowman_1

Snowman_1 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing to be confused about. There's one that goes to Wal Mart & another that doesn't-beyond that, don't worry about it. They all(both) will go by what you're looking for.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i300

Steve is trying to confuse you even more. His math is terrible unless he is buying me drinks. $6.5 Mxn is closer to $.60 US than to $.70. $1 US will buy you about $10.75 Mxn Pesos. That $.10 can go a long way toward the purchase of a $1 beer at Philly Cheese Steak. And that fare is not only within the Hotel Zone, but also to and from downtown.

If you are just traveling within the Hotel Zone you can take any bus heading in the direction you want to go.

If you are going downtown to Walmart, the R-2 bus drops you a block away. If you want to go to like Main Street, which is Av. Tulum, or to Puerto Juarez like to take the ferry to Isla Mujeres, you will take the R-1 bus.

And the later the hour the less frequently the buses will be running. They do run 24/7 but the later it is the longer you may have to wait.

Taxis to and from town and within the Hotel Zone are pretty much negotiable. Expect to pay too much unless you know where you are going in terms of time and distance and negotiate accordingly.

During the day you can get from the Party Center area to downtown/Walmart for $50-$60 pesos. At night it can be 2-4 times that much, depending on how drunk you look and act. The later, the more expensive typically.

Good luck.

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    LOL TJ :lol: Penny pincher! Yeah my maths wasnt spot on. I still think in pounds you know!

If I bothered to bend down and pick up every 50 Mxn cents I ever dropped then I too could probably treat myself to an extra bus fare once every couple of years :wink:

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny Steve and English Breakfasts

Yes sir Mr. Funny man. You deserve a ride on the R-1 or R-2. I pick up every single coin I can find. I even have stepped on a child's hand to beat them to the coin.

Do you know that in March there will be a place in Centro serving authentic English breakfasts, plus Belgian Waffles. That is what I have been told, straight from the horse's mouth. I cannot wait. Where they will get the groceries I do not know but they seem to have a plan.

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    That sounds promising, please keep me up to date. Nothing like a full English to start you off in the morning.

8. SvetaNDaz

SvetaNDaz Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh no not English Breakfasts. We fly all that way to get away from that.

9. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't get to excited, I know for sure that it is not an "authentic English breakfast". I tried the crepes the other day and they are really good though!

10. urefinneJ

urefinneJ Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not any more.
    The R-1 now stops about a mile shy of Puerto Juarez and Gran Puerto Juarez. To get the to the ferry you'll need to get onto a minivan at the (new) end of the R-1 line and it will cost you an extra 5 pesos to travel that extra mile by minivan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice