Bruins/Canucks

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Bart/Annette, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sports

sports Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

The one defining moment was, Burrows biting Patrice. If he was fined or suspended that would have ended it, the lack of action by the league and the taunting by the Sedin twins on the NBC broadcast calling burrows a vegetarian and laperie putting his glove in Patrice’s face caused what happened in Game 3. There is only so long you can push someone around before they snap...I'm sure the rest of the series will be good hockey(with the B's winning yeah I know I'm a homer). When they tried in the 90's to take out fighting the game fell off and more cheap shots started. In the non professional leagues there should be no fighting period but these are professionals they know what they are getting themselves into.

2. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I think the biggest problem with the NHL is the inconsistency. It seems like there are different rules for the regular season and the playoffs and different rules depending on who did the deed. We have seen this over and over through the years. This year we had Richards knocking Tim Connelly out with a check from behind with no suspension and the Burrows incident added in. The Chara incident earlier in the year is also indicative of the "maybe they will or maybe they won't" attitude of the NHL. Why do I think that if the check had been thrown by Henrik Sedin there would be no suspension? You can't run a hockey league or even a company with two sets of rules. If the NHL doesn't put some consistency in their enforcement then it will be a matter of seeing which teams marginal player can take out the other teams super star and the product on the ice will suffer.

3. AW

AW Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hopefully next year Shanahan will change the way discipline is determined like he did the way hooking, holding and interfence was handled prior to the lockout. That has opened up and improved the game greatly. I've always liked him and was surprised and happy to hear he is replacing Campbell in the role of disciplinarian.

4. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Shanahan should be an improvement over Campbell. I'm sure that the task is thankless, but if they could just be consistent it would help the game get credability which it is currently lacking. Maybe the NHL will finally get its act together.

On a side note, I was glad to see the NHL return to Winnipeg. They never should have left there.

5. sports

sports Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

are you telling me Phoneix is not a hockey city??? LOL

6. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Sure it's a hockey town. Both of the Coyote fans love it!

7. BIG JOEP

BIG JOEP Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I agree with Twinimini about the inconsistant calls. Funny to me in sports how rules change for big name players. I hurd a story once were Michael Jordan was called for traveling and he told the ref to never call it again! He said people aren't here to see you! There here to see me! Wow, that is just funny if it's true! Just think back to the 80's when Probert use to run over goalies! He would be seeing Shanahan on a monthy basis! I also like Shanahan taking over. He has a great mind for the game! On a side note Bart we gonna see you in Sept?

8. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Part of our discussion has to do with fighting in hockey. Last night you saw an example of how and why it happens. Burrows slashes Thomas' stick out of his hands. Thomas picks up the stick and whacks Burrows who then retaliates. The refs didn't call the first slash so vigilante justice comes into play.

Personally I think fighting is bad for the game, but I do understand how and why it occurs. I don't think the average sports fan really appreciates the hows and whys of hockey fights and only sees it as organized mayhem. Too bad because the sport is fun from many respects and requires tremendous skills.

9. Bart/Annette

Bart/Annette Life begins at 40!!! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    I agree with Shanahan being great as the NHL penalty guy. He always seemed to have a good feel for the game, although I am still pissed when the NHL gave the Devils Shanahan when the Blues signed Scott Stevens.

We are going to miss you this year in September. We are planning a Labor Day party that also celebrates one of our granddaughter's birthday. Are you guys going to Nawlins in October?

10. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Saw the hit and other than being late, I don't think it suspension worthy, but what do I know... I didn't consult rivalry GMs. The impact of the landing looked worse than the hit.

It was shoulder to shoulder and a professional player should know better than to have his head down admiring his own pass while rushing the blue line. The pace of the game was set, and both sides were finishing their hits. Here's an overhead look:

[ame="http://"]

The only reason the player was blind sided was because he was looking left instead of forward. The hit was square on. A little high, but Rome's skates never left the ice and Horton was a little crouched.

As far as discipline, remember that the NHL is a business. Star players need to play to keep fans around. They get hit with heftier fines instead of more games. It's up to the league to protect all players, but of course they put a bigger focus on the top revenue generators... what company doesn't? (or shouldn't). If the league really wanted to make an impact to protect their players, they'd start regulating the use of body armor. There is absolutely no reason to have have 9" re-enforced plastic lined with teflon shoulder guard on both shoulders. This isn't a battle dome! Change it back to padding, forcing the player throwing the hit to consider his own safety.

Playoffs are different than the regular season and should be treated differently. 82 games in a season, 7 games in a series. Use an 82:7 ratio.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice