British style fish and chip?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by JeffandShannan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Eating the food here is ok and may even be reasonably enjoyable when on vacation, living here and having no option is a different matter.

I have yet to find a single restaurant here I actually enjoy eating at. Not a single one.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK Jeff. Please tell me you and Shannan like shrimp. You would never find this on your own, let alone get to it, nor could you figure out how to get close on public transportation. It is a hidden gem and my go to lunch place when I have time.

Before I go on, if we can make a plan, I will meet you downtown and take you there, Dutch Treat.

You can get a huge order of shrimp, with rice and shredded cabbage and tortillas for $110 and the best micheladas in town are like $35 and are 1 liter. "Waters" like Horchata and Jamaica are $20.You have at least a dozen options for what kind of shrimp you want. There is live music of mariachi and marimba styles. You can buy roses, bootleg music, etc from wandering in vendors that don't really disturb you. It is a fun place and the owner will often stop at the table and fist bump you and say VA QUE VA. The name of the place is Va Q' Va.

I have talked to literally dozens of Mexicans who have never heard of the place, yet it is incredibly busy.

The ball is in your court my friend. When are you coming?

3. Jodid

Jodid Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ, I have a car, would I be able to find it? I'm in need of some good places to eat that don't break the bank.

4. JeffandShannan

JeffandShannan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi TJ,
    Sounds great! I am in. How about later this week. Will PM to arrange.

5. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The place on Isla is Bally Hoo, behind the Pemex station as you enter the marina dock. Yummy white fish!

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here you go Jeff - he does do beer battered fish - worth a shot again I reckon.

Kosher Cancun Restaurant | Cancun Fish and Chips Restaurant | Dag Dag

There is also a little restaurant in Mercado 28 called Pescado y Limon. They do a Fish fillet for like 70 pesos with fries and salad. It's breaded not battered, but it is seriously delicious and well priced. Served with fries. When I need my fish and chips fix I always head there.

7. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many thanks fair the advice Matkirk. Will try both indeed!

8. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Went back to Bally Hoo yesterday and had a great plate of Battered Fish and chips. 87 pesos. Highly recommend it!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice