British style fish and chip?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by JeffandShannan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. JeffandShannan

JeffandShannan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone recommend a downtown location for decent plate of :flaguk:"beer batter" style fish and chips?

Thanks in advance!

J&S

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In Mexico you want Fish and chips? I have only seen them on the menu at Surfin Burrito. Maybe the Black Pub or the new Irish bar in Plaza Solare has them. But they are not going to be traditional as the fish used in the UK is not a fish found here. And forget Beer battered. If I am wrong, Steve I am sure will point it out.

3. carcrz

carcrz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Some fish tacos sound AMAZING right now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

4. GoGoBlanco

GoGoBlanco Banned

Ratings:
    +255 / 2
    [​IMG]

Hits the spot! Desire Pearl.
    And that's from a Brit!
    :daisy:

5. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They were found on Isla...

Can't remember the name but the bar/restaurant on Isla that is on the docks right behind the Gas station at Playa Norte has FANTASTIC Brit style fish and chips.

Was hoping there was something similar in DT CUN….

However, the fish tacos at Desire look very nice indeed!

Any other thoughts out there…..? Steve? Janet?

J&S

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    There are a few places that have 'Fish and Chips' on their menu but nothing comes close, unfortunately.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No comment but I am going to Belize and in search of some good Canadian food. Oh wait, there is not even good Canadian food in Canada.

Don't fret Jeff. We cannot get decent Chinese food here in spite of a couple dozen options.

8. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That Kosher/fish and chips place on the Yaxichilan has closed down - and it wasn't like "Fish and chips", despite being run by a Londoner.

He is opening again in the Hotel Zone, lets see how he does.

For fish and chips you need cod etc. which isn't readily available here (and a huge portion of fish and chips is a bit heavy for the hot weather)!

9. Sarumcouple

Sarumcouple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Your going to Mexico and want Fish & Chips!! whats that all about ?? Stay home and have them.. Or go to Mexico enjoy the country/cuisine/weather/people .. but to go for Fish & Chips ... Barking !!!!!!

10. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry I asked!!

I will remind you the HZ hosts Italian, Japanese, Argentinian, French and most of Fast food America - and those who holiday here eat more of that overpriced imported crap than they do "Traditional Yucatan" (other than a taco at surfin' burrito that is billed as "Californian style"- LOL! BTW, they are very good indeed)

Living in DT CUN, we have found many decent "local" food establishments, others not so good. Fish and Chips was a hopeful little diversion from same. I will get the name of the place over on Isla my next trip for anyone else who may wish to try a fair attempt at "Pub Style" fish an chips… No, not Cod, but the batter makes up for that!

Now to get everyone really going: What is up with all that cream cheese in every piece of Sushi rolled in CUN?! That is not sushi!

BTW- I also miss the Montreal Style Smoked meat sandwich shop that used to be on Tulum and Dropin' a little NY Deli back on Isla (TJ had introduced Dropin" NY on the forum, we tried and loved it. Went many times until they closed…) Also, the owner was from California, but he had been to NYC….

Any other ideas for a decent lunch?

J&S

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice