bringing in a desktop

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by kathy_caribe, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a little late to this party....

Kathy have you checked whats available on Mercadolibre.com.mx? (Mexico's ebay) and does the "compatibility mode" in Vista or 7 not work for your programs?

As Mixz1 said XP support is all but gone as even the "netbooks" come with Windows 7 now...

If you're wanting a new computer, perhaps its better not to worry about what OS it comes with and just install XP yourself in a dualboot setup... or you could even have a virtual machine running XP under Win7 for that matter.

You'd better buy the copy of XP quick though before they disappear... unless you're going to do it the "other" way... (pirated)

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  2. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I wasn't sure how reliable mercado libre was. So no, I haven't checked it at all. I'm not sure if the XP mode in W7 will work. I suspect it probably will and I'm hoping for that - which is why I'm looking in the US as I can get systems downgraded to XP but with both W7 and XP COAs (Lenovo Thinkcentres). I'd like to go to W7 but I really do need XP as I'll be absolutely unable to work without it. Gambling on W7 XP mode doesn't really do it, especially when I'm so remote from the large US market.

Dual boot is an excellent idea, but finding a machine down here that can be "downgraded" to XP is the problem I'm having. It is a big question. If I were not so reliant on the machine to make a living I'd totally go for it and see what flew. :)

3. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dell

I chatted with a Dell Mexico rep online last night. They said they deliver in Mexico (free) with UPS.

They also told me I could get a system with English OS & Keyboard if I put the system in my cart and then use the chat feature to ask for assistance. They would add the "English" to it.

Also told me that I could use my Canadian credit card to pay for it.

Has anyone needed repair service from Dell Mexico? Wondering how they are...

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For what its worth I've never had a problem with Mercadolibre and have done several $10,000+ peso purchases. Much like ebay in the States there is a ranking systems and of' course you should never buy a big ticket item from a newcomer.

I think you'd be surprised how flexible XP is on the newer hardware (with a clean install).. the only issue most people notice is that only the first 3 gigs of ram show up as its the limit for a 32-bit OS and finding some drivers can be a pain, but most times it can be worked out. When Vista was out people were downgrading in droves back to XP without too much hassle and much of that hardware is still being used in the low to mid level PCs. In any event a virtual machine running XP under Win7 would almost certainly work for you if dual booting proves to be a problem for some reason.

My only grievance with buying in Mexico is its always less value for the buck.. across the board.. just look at dell.com vs dell.com.mx and see how much more computer the same money will get you at the US counterpart.. never mind stores like BestBuy which can often offer even lower prices than the manufactures. If you really want a reality check visit Liverpool and see what they want for laptops that only run $700ish in the States... (think $20,000+ pesos!!!)
    I'm in the market for a new laptop myself, (unfortunately my mules have been a bit unreliable lately).. but the idea of purchasing one here looses its appeal as soon as the specs & prices get a look.

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While on-site service is always subject to the individual technician, on average Dell Mexico is as good as Dell on-site in the the US. Depot service is equal, since most depot service is replace, not repair. Actually, these days on-site is the same. Nobody fixes very much. Once the defective part is diagnosed, it's just a question of part availability that determines how long you're going to wait.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You haven't mentioned what software you believe to be absolutely XP dependent. Besides running a virtual XP box under Win 7, some apps will work fine when the exe is set to run in "compatibility mode", i.e. telling Win 7 to handle the app as though Win 7 was XP.

I run a couple of engineering apps and one parts catalog in a virtual XP box under Win7, and they are smooth as silk, including Internet access, printing and sharing files with the Win 7 host.

Is there a possibility of contacting the vendor of your app and asking direct questions about Win 7, Win 7 Compatibility Mode and Virtual XP under Win 7? I would think the vendor would have the answers.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy.. If you really, really, really want an XP computer CityClub had a white (I wanna say Benq brand) all-in-one 19" LCD monitor computer that ran XP.. its low end by today's standards (1.5ghz sempron = wimpy processor) but I want to say it was only $5,699 unless I'm confusing it with something else not a good value compared to the states.. but it does come with XP (Spanish) and is available here and now.... they also had several netbook computers running xp for between $4000 and $6000 which might be fine if you attach an external monitor to them... not sure what sorts of demands you put on your computers, but if its mostly for work and not play a low end machine might work for you.

edit: It was the computer here at this link....

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  8. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The apps are platforms run via a VPN and no, there is no way to contact the manufacturer as the platform is not even owned by the company I contract to. They will slowly upgrade to W7 but it isn't a huge priority. Other apps are medical software apps that have a huge monopoly on the market - there are really only 2 that are useful and expander sw, again, monopoly and only 2 on the market so not much ability for choice. I think I'm going to go with Dr. Chip and see if he can do both XP and W7 with XP. I have a license for XP upgrade and probably will go with Dr. CHip. We'll see. Thanks so much everyone for your help and ideas! I'm definitely leaning towards W7 with XP mode.

9. kathy_caribe

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

WOw. that is really good to know. Thanks so much!

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy, and you too Mix and Life - Do you guys and gal speak English too.

I have always just gone to Best Buy and bought something pretty and they seem to work fine until I see a prettier one come along every couple of years. I donate the old one to a school and that makes me feel good. You all are way to technical for me. Ja Ja. And smarter too it seems.

Hey Life - several $10k + purchases on Mercado Libre. Can you loan me some money? I ate at Super Carnes last night and am a little short. They are now up to $139, and you have to pay extra for refrescos, although you can still get aguas, with one refill in the paquete. Maybe 3/5-4 yrs ago it was in the $70's. Bundy won't even go any more, even if I offer to pay. He even helps me look out for my money. What a friend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice