Boxing - 25th April and 2nd May

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Apr 23, 2009.

?

Who will win the big showdown on May 2nd 2009 between Ricky and Manny?

1. Ricky Hatton

100.0%
  2. Manny Pacquiao

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just thought i'd post this on here incase some of the locals don't checkout the Cancun Info section...

Two fights coming up involving British fighters...

Carl Froch vs Jermaine Taylor 9pm ET Saturday 25th April (8pm our time?)

Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton vs Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao 9pm ET Saturday 2nd May

A few of us are going to La Taberna on the Yaxilan if anyone wants to join us, your more than welcome, even if your not British, come and join in and help create an atmosphere! Hope to see you there.

2. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    UPDATE - Space (SKY 417) is meant to be showing the fight on Saturday but not until 10pm, so even if La Taberna doesn't have Showtime, we should be able to see it, i know they have Dish or Direct TV and should also have the Sky Channels?

I think i'm trying to get in there from 8, just incase it starts as advertised, although it normally doesn't.

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam: I saw a commercial for the fight on TV Azteca, and I was hoping that they would show it. Hope thats the case, otherwise its off to the "new" Taberna around the corner :)

Please feel free to update as the fight gets closer :)

As a boxer myself, Im hoping for a great fight!! Dont really care who wins, since none of the guys are any of my favorites. I have enjoyed Pacman whipping one hyped-up Mexican fighter after another, and Im really curious regarding Hatton!

Do you know of any place here in Cun that would broadcast Amir Khan`s fights??

The kid is a phenomenon and I love his style.

4. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well they normally seem to ignore fights that are in Britain over here and i looked everywhere for the previous fight as it was against Barrera i was hoping they'd show it but US tv didn't pick it up, i presumed it wasn't being shown and then only found out it had been on Mexican TV, Azteca i think, the next morning! I used to watch every one of his fights when i lived in England and i miss watching him fight, he has a world title fight in the UK coming up in June i think, so hopefully we'll get to see that one but probably be on day time over here, great excuse for a Saturday afternoon beer or six!

Personally i think Hatton is going to catch Manny and he's going to fly across the ring and see stars, i hope so anyway, Hatton only has a loss on his record because he fought the greatest boxer of all time and the ref wouldn't let them fight. However, i'm not discounted Pacquiao as he's a great fighter and has dispatched some hyped-up and legendary fighters, but he can be beaten and he is small, it's not like Ricky is going to be as light and as weak as Oscar De La Hoya was, who looked dangerously underweight in his loss to Manny and if the Phillipino comes forward and fights then it's going to be a cracker because Ricky has got some serious balls and will go toe to toe with any fighter out there. Just hope the fight doesn't get ruined by a cut, as Hatton does cut very easily.

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam: If you'd like, we could get together at a place of choice when its time.

Im a huge boxing fan and have been active myself for about 9 years (back home in Sweden and while living in Australia)

Hatton is rough - he has the power, and if he can just catch Pacman, then its over :)

I do like Pacman, especially when he knocks out Mexican after Mexican - In the end the commentators had to admit that he actually beat them with skill, not just luck :)

You can see that he loves his boxing and the fight against Hatton should be massive!

De la Hoya... well, lets just say that his time was quite a while ago. He should have retired while he was still on the top.

Feel free to send me a private message when/if you want to watch the fights :)

Aint nothing wrong with "early beers" - had quite a few at last years Champions League final between Chelsea and Man UTD :)

I didnt know Hatton cuts easily... Lets hope, just as you said, that the ref will let the two fighters decide the outcome.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Totally forgot we have a reservation at Temptation for the Saturday night of the Hatton fight so wont be able to make that one now unfortunately.

We are also staying at a hotel tomorrow night and all day Saturday. Will probably make it, but will see how I feel when I get back home Sat evening. I ought to support Carl Froch since he's from a few miles away from where I lived in the UK.

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Rawkus, up for watching some fights, if you want to join us at La Taberna tomorrow and next week, your more than welcome, one on the Yaxilan though, other one doesn't have much of an atmosphere except when Mexico are playing football. Should be in there from about 8, just look for two very white English blokes, approx 30 years old, can't miss us.

8. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam: Have to miss out on tmws fight, but Im saving my pesos for Hatton v/s Pacman! :)

You sure its 8pm for Hatton?

If you hear of any changes, just let us know :)

9. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HBO has the fight scheduled for 9pm Eastern Time but going on past experience it starts much later than that, although they do have to think about the UK, as they are PPV aswell, i'm guessing it will actually start at 9-10pm Cancun time but i'm getting in there from 8 just to be safe as i don't want to miss any of the build up or fight.

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam: Ill see you there at 8pm next sat! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice