Book list for learning Spanish

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by snorklebum, Dec 16, 2007.

1. snorklebum

snorklebum Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, this might be a little bit self-serving, but I am continually amazed at people who try to live in Mexico with poor local language skills. And by the odd ways they try to learn.

This is a list I've compiled over the years of very helpful books and references that really help. I tend to like lighweight pocket stuff over big books like 501 Verbs that don't do much for you.

This should be your "starter" kit. Along with a few exceptional intermediate books.

Click the links below to got to a site that either tells more about the book or offers it for order on Amazon of a private site.

BOOKS TO LEARN SPANISH

You can easily load up on books that don't help you much: 501 Verbs, for instance, and all those cute introductory grammars.

Here is a small shelf of books that are skeleton keys to familiarity with Spanish and Mexico.

First of all, you need a good, solid Spanish/English/Spanish dictionary. The U. of Chicago paperback is the one. It's a small, lightweight pocketbook, but packed with words. It also has a few characteristics that set it apart from the pack. One is a list of idioms in the center between the Span-Eng and Eng-Span sections. Another is a really great guide to pronunciation and use. But the single best selling point of this sucker is the fact that all verbs that don't conjugate regularly have a number that refers to a list of irregular conjugations. Conocer and parecer, for instance, share the same number and conjugation pattern.
    UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO DICTIONARY

If you remember from school, grammer books are a pain. The smart alternative for travelers (and residents of the tropics) would be a single page of laminated information that has all you need to know about grammar, but weighs nothing, takes up no space, and can't be harmed by moisture or impact. The barchart laminated study guides are all that. The info on conjugation, syntax, usage, is packed in, but easy to understand. A total beginner might need a quick web tutorial or talk with a teacher to get started, but it's a ready reference that's easy to keep around. They have several guides to vocabulary, conversation, and grammar. A must have.
    LAMINATED GRAMMAR CHART

One of the best ways to learn Spanish is by reading comics. Not books, which are too long for starting out and certainly not the newspapers, that use weird, confusing words and construction. Comix use everyday language in simple situations. They have short, one page episodes so you can take it slow but still get the jokes. Start reading and looking up words in your dictionary. Write the meanings in a steno pad, which you will periodically review. If you run into a phrase you can't figure out, ask somebody and write down the meaning. This is a really great learning method.

I would highly recommend the Condorito comics, a cute little Condor with Bugs Bunny attitude available in newstands all over Latin America. Or in this collection if you are in the states.
    CONDORITO BOOK COLLECTION

There is no character more dear to Latin America than Mafalda, a little girl in an Argentine strip from the sixties. It's like Peanuts, but with adults...and much better. People who get familiar with Mafalda will find something in common with almost everybody they talk to. A wonderful, endearing, cynical, wise strip with unforgettable kids.
    MAFALDA COLLECTION

One thing Spanish students often find frustrating is the lack of intermediate books. You get the basics down, then where do you go? There is one best answer for that: an elegant, excellently executed paperback that takes you past the beginner stage and dictionary words into the heart of actual local speech. Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish is the way all language books should be and indespensible for anybody serious about living in Mexico.
    BREAKING OUT OF BEGINNER'S SPANISH

A different sort of comic is the work of Rius, the most famous cartoonist/social gadfly in Mexico. His work is a sort of underground bible of the Mexican subconscious. He is a virtual commie, a virulent anti-American. A feminist, atheist, and social critic. But he is funny and has a real sense of what Mexico is all about. He's most full of it when discussing the US or Cuba, at his most reliable debunking the Catholic church or telling Mexican guys to eat better. You want to know Mexico, Rius is a good place to start. He has lots of books, this link is to a collection.
    TODO RIUS

There is much more to any language than is taught in school. The real Mexico, like the real USA speaks an idiomatic, slang-laden dialect that you can't figure out with dictionaries or classrooms. Anybody who wants to live in Mexico needs to know the basics of how people really talk...if for no other reason than to know what people are saying about you. This is the best-selling book on Mexican Slang, a cheap pocket-sized guide you can carry around with you. Learn and get a few laughs.
    MEXICAN SLANG 101

Culture, society and language go hand in hand. Learning about a country involves picking up new words, learning the deeper meanings of many words give insight into the country itself. ANYBODY thinking of living in Mexico, much less doing business here, should read the single most powerful book on Mexican society, culture, history, politics, economics...everything. Written by the Mexico City correspondent for the New York Times, Distant Neighbors was simultaneously published in Mexico as Vecinos Distantes and most Mexicans will tell you that THEY learned a lot about their country from reading it. It changes your whole awareness and orientation of Mexico.
    DISTANT NEIGHBORS

You can't really talk about understanding Mexico books without mentioning the classic Peoples Guide by Carl Franz. A rambling, VW bus-powered rollick across the country, this is the book that so many learned about Mexico--from hippy camping to vocabuary. A fun read, a great resource.
    THE PEOPLE'S GUIDE TO MEXICO

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I second the recommendation for Breaking out of Beginner Spanish.

I've never read or used it, but many people rave about 501 Spanish verbs and say it's indispensable. I've never wanted something like that...for me, learning the rules of conjugation and then the exceptions was enough for me.

3. snorklebum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah.

The nice thing about the U. of Chicago book is that you can get the conjugation tree for ANY verb, not just seleted one.

And so many of those 500 are redundant. Many are regular and if you know "conocer" you know "parecer".

Padding to create a bigger book for the price. If you have the U of Chi paperback and that grammar sheet you have all you need to know for a few ounces and very little space.

I was working on a book for intermediate Spanish myself. Then I ran into Breaking Out and gave up. That guy did a splendid job and I couldn't see writing a better book. (Not something I say very often, let me tell you)

4. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey thanks for the list. I was taking a Spanish class here in Minnesota through community education and the instructor got sick (I hope she recovered. Claudia was a very nice teacher) and they canceled the class. It was a three section program 8 weeks per section. It ended after the second class of the second section. I am bummed out.

Hasta Luego amigos!

5. snorklebum

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BOOKSTORE IN PUERTO MORELOS

It's come to my attention that those who live down in the Puerto Morelos/Playa Carmen area can get some of these books without having to go online and figure out how to get the shipment.

There's a GREAT bookstore down there. Very impressive. Even bigger and more extensive than Needful Things in Cancun...and the people who run it are just as nice, which is saying something.

They often have many books on this list. For sure they have People's Guide to Mexico in stock and also Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish...which is a terrific book for the post-newbie.

And, ever since I stumbled onto them, they have the incomparably delicious Mexican Slang 101.

AND...this is almost too much...they're right next door to a great Chinese/Thai restaurant!!!!!

I can't recall their address (like that means much in Puerto Morelos anyway) but the details are at their website.

http://www.almalibrebooks.​com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice