Beware the bump!

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by fun4us, Mar 14, 2013.

1. tigerjohnni

tigerjohnni Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i've been going to cancun thru-out the last 20yrs, i always will love it there...but now i'm at the place where i want to see more places..i love watching house hunters international...and i'm getting to a point/age where i would like to consider buying a vaca/retire condo somewhere in the world where its warm all year, next to the beach, resturants, bars, stores etc etc...cancun is'nt the spot for that (although further down pdc, puerto adveturas, tulum etc etc .. i've also been to dominican republic, punta cana, puerto plata, sosua, caberete...so basically what i'm saying is a vacation for me at this point in my life is not only to party/relax but to check out the area, cost of living, economy, government policy for expats etc etc...going to gp was just a quick spur of moment 5 day trip...and i'm sure it will be a blast..i'm very easy going/ out going and not picky at all.....but i do expect to get what i pay for and stay where i planned on going....

2. momanddadohio

momanddadohio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    gp

Just got back from the golden after our first time there.March 13 till 19 and we did not get bump nor heard of anybody that did.I agree with most from here that the staff are the best and do go out of the way to make sure they take good care of you.Food was also great. We did not see many young spring breakers there at that time.Our room had 2 beds and we asked if we could have a king size bed instead, after 1 night they found us a king size bed room and moved us ( no problems) Only thing we did not like about this hotel is there is no swim up bar and maybe that's why the pools we mainly empty

3. fun4us

fun4us Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +941 / 2
    Well, after almost a week and a half of repeated phone calls, emails, and arguements with Expedia and the Parnassus Resorts, we received a full refund for the cost of our hotel stay! Hopefully no one goes through the garbage we did, but if you are one of the unlucky ones, don't give up until you get refunded or receive adequate compensation:icon_biggrin:

4. cancuncouple

cancuncouple Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0
    I'm glad to hear this. I hope we don't get bumped. We are going in May so we should be ok. The bad thing is, they should have given you a suite at Great. I hear they are sweet. Yes it was garbage and they should have made it right. BTW, we love kids (6 kids and 9 grandkids), just don't want to be around any in May.

5. funcpl27

funcpl27 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +917 / 16
    IMO, any booking on Expedia or Orbiz is a big mistake....You should always use a travel agent who books thru one of the legitimate tour operators like Apple Vacations or similar

6. funcpl27

Ratings:
    +917 / 16
    Expedia really isnt a travel agency. It's a former booking subsidiary of Sabre and American Airlines which was spun off but still is just an airline booking engine that sells hotel rooms for residual income

7. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I'm soooo excited you had a wonderful trip! thank you for your honest review! :) I'll be there in 16 days and can NOT wait! :)

When we got bumped in 2009, we were placed into a suite on the 12th floor with our own private restaurant. Our room had a view of the lagoon and ocean and we also had a hot tub in the room. I think we only used it once. I don't come to cancun for an indoor hot tub. lol. Please do not worry about getting bumped in May. If I absolutely HAD to put a guesstimate date on it.... i would say bumping occurs mainly between 2/25 and 3/25 and tapers off after that. So no need to worry AT ALL!

I disagree. I can't stand expedia because they tend to say certain hotels are "sold out" when they aren't even near capacity. Especially smaller intimate hotels. I will NEVER buy from expedia again. With orbitz... I have no issues. We got bumped once.... it was only supposed to be for 1-2 days but we loved it so much that when they called the room to transfer us back we declined and stayed. We got to eat and sleep at the Great and party and eat during the day at the Golden. It was the best of both worlds. I didn't pay the damn kids any mind. Can't even think of any yelling/screaming.

I booked with Apple Vacations in 2004 and 2005. While they did make sure that we were taken care of... their prices were ASTRONOMICAL. I love GP but not enough to spend 1700/person for one week. Hell we paid 13 something a person before for 2 weeks during peak season. To me... it's not worth it. BUT apple vacations DOES take care of you. I say this because:

Our first trip to Cancun EVER was in 2004. We had reservations to stay at the Oasis (The party headquarters for spring breakers). While we were technically spring breakers.... we did NOT want to hang around a bunch of kids who act like they've never seen liquor before. Everyone told us to stay there so we did. Well our first day we were waiting to check in for like 6 hours. maybe more. No wristband. Couldn't get drinks or food or anything. They ended up saying that they overbooked and there were no rooms available. Apple Vacations said they got us an upgrade to Golden Crown Paradise Resort & Spa.... GP's former name. They said it was adults only. I literally cried. I didn't wanna stay at some lame place with old people and sucky everything. It didn't matter. If it wasn't oasis, it sucked in my mind. lol. Well by the end of the first night, I fell in love. I returned as much as possible since then. Apple vacations sent us a 250$ for the inconvenience. Was it a full refund? no. BUT THEN! lol.

My gf I traveled with was Italian. She didn't tell me she was Italian. She was pasty white like me so I trusted her intuition when it came to tanning lotion. She offered me some type of dark tanning oil. By the end of the day my skin was purple and so hard you could knock on it. I ended up being stuck in the room for 3 days, wrapped in ice cold towels. I eventually had to call a mexican doctor to give me a shot in my ass and prescribe me meds. Apple vacations sent me an addition $250 voucher for this and it was my own damn fault. Silly little Czech girl shouldn't assume that her friends are automatically Slavic. lol. My fault.

This is why I say that they really stand behind their customers.

but to me...I'd rather pay 900-1000/person/wk and risk getting bumped during peak weaks than waste 1400 just to "insure" my trip.

Also.... Apple always used USA3000. Ever since that airline flopped their rates have skyrocketed. At least for all of the airports within a 3 hour drive of me.

I'll just risk it! It's not that big of a deal. I'm on vacation.... not at school. Not at work. Not dealing with my mother or family bugging the shit out of me. I'm happy. lol. :deadhorse:

8. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    In this day and age of computers there are no ''Accidental overbookings".

Its all about $$$ they want to fill there low occupancy hotels.

9. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,603 / 14
    We've never been to GP, and I don't think we'll go after reading that. Nothing like that has ever happened to us at TTR in 9 trips since 2007.

10. funcpl27

Ratings:
    +917 / 16
    Hammie.....Expedia and Orbitz are essentially exactly the same. One is sabre and the other is travelport.....they are both airline booking systems that are trying to get in the online travel agency world.....without any actual investment in product or service. The room availability is 100% controlled by the hotel so they are merely order takers who get a cut. Thats why I would say book it yourself or use a real travel agent which uses a real tour operator .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice