Beware of this business......

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunTom, May 8, 2012.

1. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    :bash:
    All foreigners and locals BEWARE........
    I own an Apple Mac Mini computer which recently malfunctioned. The microphone input and the CD/DVD player stopped functioning. We found a computer repair business in here in Cancun that and took it to them for repairs. At the time we dropped it off they gave us an estimate of the cost of the repairs and asked for a 1,000 peso deposit. We were told it would take about 1 week because they had to order a small circuit board to repair the microphone and a new cd/dvd player. This business displays the Apple logo on their business cards. They also have signage on and in their building proclaiming to be an " AUTHORIZED APPLE REPAIR CENTER". The name of this business is "Centro Autorizado de Servicio Solutiones Digitales". They had my computer for approx. 3 weeks, during which time we called them twice and stopped in from time to time to check on the status. We were given an array of excuses as to why it wasn't finished. We were also told that nothing was wrong with the DVD player. Finally I went into the store with a Spanish speaking computer science expert and Mr. Berni proceeded to misrepresent the status of the computer even to the extent of claiming to have replaced it's hard drive which was never an issue. This conversation with Mr. Rocky Berni got somewhat belligerent when he realized he couldn't fool my friend with his lies. Suddenly he proclaimed that the computer was finished. So I paid him an additional 207 pesos for the repairs and also purchased a flexible overlay for it's keyboard at 350 pesos. Upon arriving home we hooked up the computer and the cd/dvd still didn't work and the microphone input also did not function. My expert then disassembled the computer and photographed all it's internal parts. The fan was completely clogged with dirt and dust and so was the hard drive. None of the lock-tight on the screws that held together these parts hadn't been disturbed and there were no fingerprints in the large amounts of dust on all it's internal components. Also we have photographic evidence that a liquid was spilled onto the chassis of the computer. It was obviously a lie for Mr. Berni to have proclaimed he had"temporarily" replaced the hard drive for diagnostic purposes. This was a running modification of his first statement that he had replaced it. Not only did the microphone and DVD not work but the Operating System disk that was perfect when I gave it to them was now scratched and unreadable. I went back to confront Mr. Berni yesterday and was told by that my computer was working when it left their facility and that they would do nothing about it. OK, so then I asked for a refund on the Icover that I had purchased. Since my computer still wasn't wasn't working, I had no use for it. Mr. Berni told me I could only have a store credit. I told him a store credit was useless to me since I would never be back to his facility. I asked to see the manager, he went to check, and came back and said she was "out". So the bottom line is that we paid 1,207 pesos for absolutely nothing and they would not even refund and unopened unused item for us.

The address is....... Av. Palenque No 46 A. , Cancun. SM26 MZ17. I would STRONGLY discourage any of you from using them for the repair and servicing of your Apple and or PC computers. We will be filing a complaint to Apple Mexico, Apple USA, and PROFECO here in Cancun.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck Tom. That really sucks.

FYI, it is PROFECO and if you don't know, they are upstairs from OXXO that is across from IMMS, behind Chedraui. I don't remember their hours but they close quite early. They will want copies of your ID, your phone and address, and copies of all documentation. They have a "take a number" system but that does not stop people from trying to jump the line. It takes forever to go thru this process, but it does work. You might want to have your Spanish speaking expert available so you can call him when they are about 4 numbers ahead of yours. If you have something that sounds and looks legit, they will schedule a meeting with the merchant. If he does not show up, there is a fine (multa). In my case it was $3,000. They have to give a written reply to your allegations buy a certain date. If they fail, another multa. The company I had an issue with, and a successful resolution, Sergio Pilati furniture, at Grand Plaza, rang up $9,000 in fines for a $10,800 complaint. So it cost them double to fix their problem with me.

My attorney furnished an agent that she uses, and the cost was $100 (pesos) per visit. It was worth it. I am told that you can recover this cost, and/or legal fees but I didn't pursue that.

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with them. I have used them a couple of times and never had a problem with them.

4. Dougout2424

Dougout2424 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sorry about that CT. Could happen anywhere but with tech, we are able to spread the word, especially if it is bad servicio!! Got to have each others back!

5. aladdinm

aladdinm Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys, i'm in Cancun right now in the future please dropped me an email adam.aladdin@lbhex.com or contact me via skype ID adam.aladdin i'm Microsoft Expert for 14 years. here's my profile.
    http://mx.linkedin.com/in/adamaladdin

1. Instructor basic computer and IT Experts.
    2. Maintain your laptop.
    3. ensure your data files backup at cloud systems.
    4. Business Consultant and Management.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice