Best restaurant

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by coreyj0724, Jul 16, 2010.

1. coreyj0724

coreyj0724 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,
    My wife and I are headed to Cancun next week, and I am looking for a nice restaurant to take her to (we will be there for our anniversary). I have done some research on the internet, but the amount of choices is insane. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Money is not really an issue (I don't want to have to mortgage my house for dinner, but anything reasonable). Thanks in advance!

2. NicHamburg

NicHamburg Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are looking for a decent Restaurant in the HZ i would prefer the Laguna Grill.

I went there a couple of time with a girlfriend and we were really impressed.

Cancun Restaurant Laguna Grill

They cater awesome Seafood & Steak in a really nice atmosphere.

And its a quite romantic setup with the beautiful terrace at the Lagoon.

But i am sure, there are also a couple of other great choices :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Puerto Madero, at km 14, is a luxury steakhouse and is awesome but not deadly priced. Also has lobster and fresh seafood options. About $100 US for two, maybe a tiny bit less, depending on how hungry you are.

A newer place is quite romantic and I recently ate there. La Habichuela Sunset at km 12, just after Plaza La Isla if coming from a lower km #. Km 0 is the beginning of downtown. Indoor and outdoor dining. Spectacular place and a sister of the long time downtown place, La Habichuela.

Those would be my top choices. LHS would be over $100 US per 2.

Hey, it's a special night. Do it up right. It only happens once a year so think of it as about $.30 US a day to make your bride feel like a queen.

Look for a PM from me.

4. cheetah27

cheetah27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Puerto madero has excellent food & service. We have ate there the past 2 yrs. Our bill is ususally around 100.

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right on Cheetah. Over $100 US and you are eating or drinking way too much.

There are a couple of romantic places downtown too. Bandaneon is an Argentinian steak house across the street (Nichupte) from Plaza las Americas and L'Escargot is in a converted house on a street called Piña, which runs off Yaxchilan, one block north of Coba. We romanced there the other night and it was $900, with a tip, that's a tad over $70 US. I think we each had an empanada, I had a filet, the little lady had a fish dish, we each had a huge glass of wine, and we split a dessert. I think that was it. They had live music and this was on a Friday night. Cancun Tom tells me they have a great jazz singer on Wed but I went there a week or so on a Wed and she was on vacation or something. But that was me and a buddy going for a drink and to hear this gal sing. That was sure not going to be a romantic deal.

6. Dougout2424

Dougout2424 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Agree with TJ. LaHab Sunset is romantic and first class. Also love Laguna Grill and both are lagoon side. We also still like garden at the original Lahabichuela and find that Mocambo on the bay side just west of punta Cancun is also a nice spot with great value. It's pretty much all seafood.

7. coreyj0724

coreyj0724 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions and I agree it's a once a year ordeal so I will go all out and make it nice. Also, thanks T.J. for the p.m. on that book , I am going to for sure pick that up.

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dougout - Would you agree that Mocambo is not considered an upscale place. Good food, great location and view, but more middle of the road than the others mentioned in this thread.

¿Si o No?

9. senorfeliz

senorfeliz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Laguna Grill doesn't do much for me. Neither does Harry's, Bling, Grill 14/Catorce (or whatever it's being called this week). I've never been a fan of La Habichuela. None are bad--just not particularly memorable.

Puerto Madero is great (I eat there every time I go to Cancun), but not necessarily very romantic. Ditto Cambalache.

For romantic meals, if that's what you're after, check out Thai and La Madonna. Both are at La Isla, which seems like a strange place for romantic dining, but both score huge points for ambiance.

Thai has Tahiti type over-the-water-huts that are very cool (you'll likely need advance reservations for one of those) and pretty good Thai food for not a lot of money. Very unique and memorable.

La Madonna has incredible decor and design inside. It's a shock when you go in and see it. Not at all what you'd expect from the outside. Obviously, Italian food primarily, but with good desserts.

Actually, a good plan would be Thai for dinner, followed by a short stroll to La Madonna for dessert.

10. Dougout2424

Dougout2424 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    TJ:

I understand what you are saying so in my opinion, upscale yes, fine dining no. Splitting hairs I know but I like the value there. I agree about LaMadonna but you pay for LaIsla and their food is good not necessarily great. We have long thought the best Italian in Nucnac is either Rolandi's or Cenacolo. Not impressed with La Dolce Vita. Chacun son gut!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice