Best Dive Spot (your opinion) in Cozumel

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by jmon, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jmon

jmon Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm leaving for Cozumel tomorrow. It is a very short trip, I would like to do one dive at least...any recomendations?? Last time I was there (day trip from Cancun) I just did a shore dive @ Chankanaab. It was ok, but I'd like to do something a little better. I'm an intermediate diver with about 50 dives...(110' foot deep shark dive @ the blue hole in Belize so far has been one of my favorites)

Thanks for your opinions/recommendations

2. Currrrvy-on-crack

Currrrvy-on-crack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you ever done Palancar?

It's another good Cozumel one.

3. jmon

jmon Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll have to wait till next year for some diving...didn't have enough time :( --- had a great trip though.

4. Scott in NH

Scott in NH Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Palancar Gardens, Columbia Deep, Barracuda, Palancar Caves, Punta Sur, Maracaibo

5. billeelou

billeelou Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    or...

palancar gardens, santa rosa wall dive or san francisco ....

6. Dive Pro

Dive Pro Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: or...

Cozumel has great dives to offer, it is an abyssal wall. There are many different dive sites, some are the edge wall dive wich have magnificent reefs and coral, depths of between 80 to 110ft, there are other dives that are reefs as deep as 55 ft there are wrecks but in this case very shallow 35 to 40ft. This dives can be done by someone with fair experience, but there are others at the south poit. (punta sur) The devils throat is one of the deepest though it requires great experience most dive shops will ask divers to dive any wall dive first for them to check on experience then depending on the divers and divemasters they take a desiciton. Devils throat is a dive that begins at about 80ft where you penetrate a big huge "ball" (made of coral) then there are 3 different little caves where you penetrate the middle one and you go directly in a 90 degree angle coming out to the abyss and current at about 140ft.
    There is also Iglesia (church in spanish) it owes its name to a coral that forms a cross it is also a very deep dive.
    Santa Rosa wall is one of the most amazing ones the edge coral also allows you to penetrate some little caverns.
    hope this info is useful.

7. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also like Columbia Deep :D

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with the above recommendations, but would also suggest that you get Laura's mapguide to "the reefs of cozumel". It describes each dive site pretty well and can give you a guide as to where you might like to go.

Here is the link to check it out: http://www.cozumeldivemap.com/

Michelle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice