best credit card to use?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by royale, Feb 11, 2008.

1. royale

royale Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey everyone, I keep hearing that Capital One credit card doesnt have any international conversion fee charges. Is that the best credit cards to use over seas? How about American express cards?

I dont want to bring my bank ATM card at all. I read on the forum that theres some hispanic guys that take you at gun point and make you empty your bank account. Sometimes they also kidnap you in a van and take you to an alternate location to kill you after they take the money from your bank account.

2. Tips The Cancun Legend

Tips The Cancun Legend Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL you stereotype way too much. I personally wouldn't take any cards, I will just have dollars and an emergency £100

3. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would be interested to know where you "heard" this from as this might be one of the most absurd things I have heard in a long time!! First off, in ALL my trips to cancun, I have NEVER, not even once seen anything bad. A few minor fights but nothing that has gotten out of hand. Perhaps if you travel in the non tourist spots in and around cancun it might be more dangerous, but for the majority, the hotel zone is a lot more safe likely than your own home town! There is NOTHING to worry about, especially with bank cards/ATM's! I cant count how many times I have used ATM's while in cancun, and I will tell you there was no one around with a gun waiting to "kidnap" me. lol but do what makes you feel comfortable I guess.............

4. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LMAO!!!! u keep on doing that! lol :lol:

5. royale

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well thats good to hear. So which bank card should I bring.. Citibank, Chase, Bank of America?

6. royale

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wasnt BS'in..
    Check the Spring Breakers start here thread.. it said this..

U.S. citizens should be very cautious in general when using ATMs in Mexico . If an ATM must be used, it should be accessed only during the business day at large protected facilities (preferably inside commercial establishments, rather than at glass-enclosed, highly visible ATMs on streets where criminals can observe financial transactions). Recently, there have been cases in which U.S. and Mexican citizens have been accosted on the street and forced to withdraw money from their accounts using their ATM cards.

7. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I dont think it really matters? I just use my debit/credit card that I always use here. Although i tell my bank that i am going to mexico so they dont shut my card off for charges that happen in mexico. That is a red flag at most banks because they think the card was stolen. So I would let your bank know ahead of time. But, really doesn't matter what card so long as it works lol.

8. royale

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok that sounds like a good tip. I will do that before I leave.. I was just a bit worried about the things I read from the Consular's tip sheet. Also I will make sure I do my walmart trips only during the day.. apparently you get jacked going for a late night beer run..

All bus travel should be during daylight hours and on first-class conveyances. Although there have been several reports of bus hijackings and robberies on "toll" roads, buses on "toll" roads have a markedly lower rate of incidents than buses (second and third class) that travel the less secure "free" highways. While many of the assaults have occurred in daylight, the U.S. Embassy nevertheless encourages daytime travel to lower the chance of vehicle accidents. The Embassy also advises caution when traveling by bus going east or west from Acapulco toward Ixtapa or Oaxaca . Although the police have made some progress in bringing this problem under control, armed robberies of entire busloads of passengers armed robberies of entire busloads of passengers still occur.

9. Tips The Cancun Legend

Tips The Cancun Legend Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your that worried, get cabs. Last year I was rolling out of clubs at 5am, strolling around and then getting on the bus. I was fine. Gun point robberies happen here in London as well. There is alot of police around the strip. I fear police more than anyone. Catching you pi$$ing on the street, will be like you just committed a gun point robbery! lol

10. royale

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually I did read something about that! Man that Consular guy is amazing, he knows everything about mexico.

In some instances, Americans have become victims of harassment, mistreatment and extortion by Mexican law enforcement and other officials. Mexican authorities are concerned about these incidents and have cooperated in investigating such cases. However, one must have the officer's name, badge number, and patrol car number to pursue a complaint. Please note this information if you are ever involved with police or other officials. In addition, tourists should be wary of persons representing themselves as police officers or other officials. Request evidence that any such people are in fact who they claim to be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice