BENNIGANS NOW OPEN IN CANCUN

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Sep 9, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This is funny because they filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy here in the US! :lol:

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point College Guy. I know about their BR filing in the state.

This was a Chapter 11, or a reorganizatio filing, rather than a Chapter 7, or liquidation type. So the plan for now is for them to stay in business and probably restructure their debt at a minimum. BTW CG, FYI Chapter 9 is for cities/municipalities who file for BR.

Also, most likely this location is a franchise and the franchisee probably has more money and balls than the franchisor. If the whole system goes belly up they at least have a prime location, the buildout complete, and everything in place to operate, and could rebrand it with another chain or another concept.

My buddy thinks it may be on the second floor, which would not be as good as down by Hard Rock and Chilis but the location is primo. Carl's Jr is upstairs although I have not had the pleasure of eating their cheese fries.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is Bennigan's any good? I've never been to one.

I'm a lousy American and pretty much never go to any of the big chain restaurants. Never been in Chili's or Olive Garden or any of those. I went in to a Burger King in Wyoming to pee about 9 years ago but I'm not sure that counts.

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bennigans is exactly like TGI Friday's, only different. (A Bundyism)

Burgers, salads, appetizers, wings, potato skins and some more upper end entrees, etc.

I hope you washed your hands in that Burger King.

RG, you continue to amaze me with how nutty you are. I cannot believe you have missed the bottomless Pasta Bowl for $8.99;

or the all you can eat Soup & Salad with hot garlic bread sticks. I think that one is $7.99.

YUMMY. No wonder you live here. You probably were deported for not eating right. Je Je.

6. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    food

Dammit, TJ! Now you've made me wish we had Olive Garden!

By the way, TJ, I got my cable bill and my US channels are not listed the same as yours. So, my question is, why in the hell was it so hard to find in their system if there is obviously more than one way to add them??? Idiots!

Oh, and RG, go on over to the forum on CancunAssist and comment on the post about how great Bancomer is for foreigners.

Ok, that's it for my all-in-one post. :)

7. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back to Bennigans, I used to love Bennigans it was across the street from where I worked before I moved here and we would be there for Happy Hour at least once a week. Now I probably would say "What was I thinking???" although the nachos if memory serves were fantastic :p
    Pretty much everything that has been in that location up untill now has bombed IMO it would have been a much better idea to open Downtown.
    Fridays was in a visible area and it closed Bennigans is completly hidden can't imagine it doing well.

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Spin,

Where exactly is Bennigans located at Forum by the Sea? I don't get there all that often except for some chicken fried chicken at Chili's or a Pig Sandwich at Hard Rock.

And how about the TGIF closing in Playa not more than a month or so after remodeling and expanding? Go figure.

And you are right about the nachos at Bennigans.

Thanks,

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have never eaten at a TGI Friday's either TJ. Sorry. I grew up in a rural area with parents who shunned any aspect of Americana that was mainstream and with a mother who grew an acre of organic vegetables every year. My parents didn't let me have refined sugar (I did sneak and eat it anyway). I never ate peanut butter that wasn't "natural." I never ate bread that was made from white flour, etc.

In my 20's I moved to Boulder Colorado which is famous for having tons of fantastic independently owned restaurants. When I was there I ate out several times a week at great indy restaurants and locally owned chains.

The only reason I've seen for ever going into one of the big chain restaurants would be if there was nowhere better to eat (or to pee), and that pretty much only happens to me when I'm driving through somewhere I could never live...like Wyoming or Iowa or Kansas...you know, those places where they think the word "vegetarian" is a dirty word.

To me it's weird that people do eat in those big chains and that they do it so readily, not that I'm against chains, just they are all the same and I'm not attracted to them for that reason (Starbucks is an exception, I like being able to count on my coffee being the same where ever I go). I guess I'm kind of creeped out by the idea of corporate-wide recipes and restaurants that serve the same dishes in 400 locations. It's not natural, it's not home cooking, there's nothing inventive or individual about it.

For the record I dislike Tok's and Vips and El Porton and Los Bisquets for the same reasons...the food is bland at best and often makes me a little ill. The service is generic, hell the whole experience is generic.

I guess I'm just not a good American, but then we knew that already.

10. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am thinking it is probably were Johnny Rockets and Santa Fe Beer Factory used to be but that is just me speculating it could be on the other side were a "Mexican" Restaurant used to be, either way nothing with the exception of Cambalache has done well, again my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice