before it was Bulldogs

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CharlesinCancun, Jan 31, 2008.

1. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's all about the location in the HZ. Think of that club Life that was/is? near Plaza La Fiesta. Awesome concept and awesome club. It didn't see much action when I was in Cancun because it's a lot more out of the way... yet it isn't.

2. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    True , very true

3. Cdn Cat

Cdn Cat Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is an old photo of the Original Hard Rock Cafe in Cancun

[​IMG]

4. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cdn cat,

that is too funny!!!! that site is bringing back memories!!!

I must have been hammered back in those days , because I thought the car was on the roof and was a VW bug or something smaller!!!

Thanks!

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SORRY STEVE

Sorry Steve but Hard Rock was NOT in Plaza Terramar. On the Riu side of the street there are actually two plazas. Terramar is to the left and that is where Philly Cheese Steak is located.

To the right (there is a walkway between the two plazas where the traffic light is located in front of the Fiesta Americana property) is where the Hard Rock was located. The plaza is, or was, known as both Maya Fair and Mayan Fair.

I am pretty sure that there are actually four plazas there, with the other two facing the lagoon side of the street. Hard Rock was in one of them, that being the one behind Maya Fair.

In the old days, as Paul Ross and I were talking about the other day, this was the really hot area in the Hotel Zone. Hard Rock was the big draw and when they left all 4 plazas steadily went downhill. You could buy $1 beers out of big tubs of ice and walk around freely. The place upstairs across from Hard Rock, Tequila Sunrise, offered lots of photo opps from flashing spring breakers, the Sub Garage was across from a game room so the adults could eat and drink and watch their kids who were safely inside the game room. Where PCS is now you could get all you can eat breakfast for $2.95 US and you could dance "The Mararena" in the street, or rather the pedestrian walkways. Hard Shell Taco was a popular place where Felipe worked and he is still in the area. The original Blue Cactus was there, diagonally across from Hard Rock, but they came after Hard Rock bolted, and Ricardo is still around but out on the main street now.

Anything you wanted you could get in this area and some things you can still get there.

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hard rock was considered to be in Terramar, Mayafair came much later Orlando Arroyo sunk a great deal of $ into Mayafair but it never did well. It was a total gohst town last time I went there 3 years ago just a few offices. IMO the biggest mistake was moving the HRC from Terramar now its dead at the Forum and Terrramar is dead too.

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Spin can never let me be right. In 1991 until the day it moved it was in the area where big red letters marked the building reading Mayafair. And Steve was not here then.

8. Shari

Shari Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What if I were to tell you that you are all wrong? I would have sworn Steve was right and that it was Plaza Terrarmar but according to this ad from Nov. 1987 Cancun Tips Magazine it was Plaza Lagunas. I've also included the list of shopping malls also from Nov. 1987.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cdn Cat

Cdn Cat Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :shock: Well I'll be darned! Come to think of it technically the Hard rock was on the lagoon side so that would have been Plaza Lagunas!

10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: SORRY STEVE

Come on Shari. I said it was in the plaza on the lagoon side behind Mayafair.

Great research on your part.

Cheers,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice