Beer/Resort Question from experienced Cancun traveler

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Michael E, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Michael E

Michael E Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone,

My wife and I have traveled to Cancun 12 times over the past 14 years and have stayed at a variety of resorts including the Riu Palace Las Americas, Riu Caribe (when it was the Gran Caribe Real), GR Solaris, Barcelo Costa (when it was the Costa Real), and most recently the Fiesta Americana Condessa. We even had our wedding at the Grand Caribe 'in 2002.

We enjoy a lively atmosphere and staying in the hotel zone.
    I have enjoyed the mixed drinks and liquor at all the resorts where we've stayed, but I primarily enjoy drinking beer. Years ago it seems there were more beer options at the resorts but lately it seems that most of the resorts have primarily Dos Equis on tap and in cans. I've tried but I just don't like Dos Equis.

Does anyone know of a fun resort in the hotel zone that features a beer other than Dos Equis? I'm working on booking our next trip for this summer and appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Michael

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I'm not a fan of Dos Equis either, but unfortunately it seems they have a near monopoly within Cancun hotels.

I dont think I've found a hotel yet that serves a different beer at the bars. You may find other brands in the mini bar though.

3. Chillin the Most

Chillin the Most Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love Dos Equis over Corona which used to be the prominent beer of choice for most of the resorts years ago. Two resorts I have experience with that offered other beers are Dreams and Beach Palace. Dreams offered cans of corona and Coors light when I was there last year. They have two outdoor bars, one a great tiki bar right off the beach with full food service. Don't care much for the swim up bar though. Beach Palace serves Sol. Even at the swim up bar it's Sol in the bottle (which they pour in a cup). Beach palace is on the expensive side but is an awesome resort. I'll be in Cancun in three weeks. We typically stay at the Riu and do a day pass or two at a different resort just to change things up a bit. I'll keep my eyes open. I'm sure there has to be others.

4. Michael E

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the reply and info Chillin the Most!

Several years ago the Real resorts served Modelo and Modelo light. The Modelo light was great. I have tried to get it here in the US but with no luck.

When we stayed at the GR Solaris one bar had some cans of Tecate Light that I tipped the bartender to stash for me, and those we good, but in limited supply. I like Corona, but Dos Equis is just too heavy for me to drink all day in the sun ( well, it doesn't stop me, but I just don't enjoy it as much as the others I mentioned ).

Coors light at a resort in Cancun? Wow, I've never seen any that serve American beer. I do like Coors light!

What did you think about Dreams? The Dolphins are cool but I've heard the pool is minimal. Was it fun overall? The price at Dreams is in line with the other places I'm looking at.

I was looking at the Beach Palace also but the reviews I've read made it seem like it was more for the Spa crowd or for quiet vacations. We actually like it lively. Was the atmosphere fun at the Beach Palace?

We love a resort where the music and atmosphere is fun at the pool and pool bar by day, and fun in the lobby bar at night. We end up going out at night maybe once per trip, so our drinking fun is had mostly during the day and dinner time / early evening.

We're also looking at the new Hard Rock. It's about $1000 more expensive than the other resorts on our list for the week, but it looks fun.

5. Michael E

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the info Steve.
    That seems to be what I've seen too. Good info from Chillin the Most though. Maybe there are a few places left.

One interesting note, when we were in line to check in at the Fiesta Americana Condessa they offered us drinks and I asked for a Corona, and they brought be a Corona bottle. But at the bars it was all Dos Equis and no one had any idea where the Corona Bottle could have come from. Seems they had a little stash somewhere!

6. lt4vet

lt4vet Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 2
    1-Stayed at Dreams twice. Corona and Bud light were your options.
    2- Both Rius we have stayed at only had only have XX. But try about 2/3 xx and 1/3 frozen magarita mixed. Called a ice beer at RPLA. It did the trick for me.
    3- stayed at GR Solaris and they have Sol beer but I did not like that resort at all. Food was terrible compared to the others I have stayed at.

7. jandpyoung

jandpyoung Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The Valentin Imperial Maya serves Sol and Coors Light but of course it isnt in the 'zone'...

8. Buffett

Buffett Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Margaritaville has Landshark. I am happy with that even if I have to pay for it. lol

9. Chillin the Most

Chillin the Most Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No Modelo Light here in the states. At least in my area of Chicago anyway.

To be honest, I didn't really care for Dreams too much. I know a lot of people like it though. I really liked the tiki bar and spent most of my time there. The Dolphins are cool to watch, especially when you first get there but get old after a while. The food is probably a notch above comparable AI resorts. The pools leave quite a lot to be desired IMO. Hardly even went in. Everything is spread out around the resort.

Beach palace IS very nice but also laid back like you heard. I have some friends that have a time share there so they know a lot of other time share guests. Having a group keeps things lively. It doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

We are in our early 40s but prefer a lively crowd ourselves. Thats why when we are in Cancun, we always stay at Riu Cancun. The Riu Cancun is set up just the way we like it. Everything is close so you are always near the action. Lots of pool games at the activity pool. The swim up bar is next to the activity pool. Great bartenders and always fun people there. Then they have two quieter pools for just relaxing in or by the pool. At night they have two bars in the entertainment hall and two lobby bars. One inside and one outside on the terrace. Its a five minute walk across the street to all the bars like Coco Bongos etc. But alas.....much like the Riu Caribe and RPLA, they only serve Dos Equis on tap at the bars and in bottles in the rooms. I have seen people bring their own caned beer to the bars and have them put it on ice though. I suppose you could go that route.

We're thinking we might do a day pass at the Hard Rock.

BTW, Margritaville in Cancun doesn't carry Landshark. Crazy, I know.

10. hawkfan

hawkfan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Budlight

It's good to see a thread on beer!! All of the resorts we've stayed have had either Corona or Dos Equis as well. Last time we were there we stayed at Crown Paradise and they had Corona. My brother and I took a cab all around Cancun trying to find Budlight or Coors Light. We found a few liquor stores that Bud Light but no Coors Light. Where is the best place to find American beer in Cancun. I'm not totally opposed to Mexican beer, wish they offer more light beers in the resorts. After a few days of drinking Corona or Dos Equis I look forward to a good light beer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice