Bed Buying

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by YessicaBB, Jul 9, 2008.

1. YessicaBB

YessicaBB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW

Thanks all for the great advice, I decided on the memory foam matress in Costco.

The bed base I brought from D'etaglio (I think this is how you spell it) the shop in Paseo Cancun. I only have to wait 4 to 6 weeks. Will let you know when it arrives.

Seriously thank you to everyone for your advice.

2. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    and it doesn't matter where you are, just lay on it and if it feels right and you can afford it buy it!

3. Texas_girl

Texas_girl Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shopping in Cancun

I'm a decorator and will be purchasing for 2 large homes on Isla Mujeres HELP!!! so I need to find some DEALS that will be within my budget. FIRST, where can I find good quality furniture and a decent price. And thanks for all the great info on mattresses (I will be needing 7 beds , ugh), Pool furniture, Dining room, livingroom. Accessories, is there any place that is like a TJMaXX, Marshalls or even ROSS???? Framing art large Artwork, is there a place like Hobby Lobby? I have only worked in MEXICO once before and was SHOCKED at the pricing of items so I'm aware of Telabodega and a couple of places at the Mall. Pier 1 pricing is it comparable to prices here in the states? Is there a good place for art work at good prices, I need HUGE pieces. Sorry I know this is a lot to ask. HELP PLEASE! Also there is a store over in Cancun but the people I went with called it the CRAZY STORE, about 3 floors with a little of EVERYTHING (very odd items in there???) does anyone know where this store is and what the name of it is? Thanks for all you help peeps!

4. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is no place in Cancun like TJMaXX or Marshall. Furniture in Cancun is very expensive for decent quality items and it is a difficult process as one would have to go to numerous stores and spend a lot of time finding items to furnish an entire home, never mind 2 homes.

Now I have furnished 2 homes already. The first one I purchased everything here locally, it was a real pain and time consuming and expensive. The second one I learned from my first experience and purchased everything in the USA and had it shipped to Cancun. It was painless, a much better selection of items and way less expensive even after paying for shipping, brokerage fees, etc.

I hired a customs broker locally here in Cancun. all items were shipped to the shipping company near Miami with the customs broker name attached with items. within a few weeks everything was delivered and set up with little involvement from me.

So my suggestion is hook up with a customs broker (I can provide name and number if needed). Go to Miami area and buy all your items there, you can accomplish this going to one store like Ashley, City Furniture, Baers, etc. Go to homegoods in Miami for decorations and art, and then sit back and relax and wait for goods to arrive. you will save a ton of time and a lot of money and get a much better selection.

Mattresses I purchased locally at Telebodega, they have the best selection and biggest showroom. Outdoor furniture I exported in also in one unit, the other I found at Costco, but Costco is hit or miss but when they have outdoor furniture it is usually very good quality.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The funny store you are talking about is called El Triunfo. It is on Coba between Palenque and La Costa. 3 story blue building.

The shipping company Steve is talking about is Hyde Shipping in Port Everglades, which is closer to Ft. Lauderdale than Miami. I used them for shipping two cars here and helped a friend earlier this month ship household goods here. If you ship to a Residente Temporal you can avoid duties. It is called Menaje de Casa. Shipping to Permanent Residents or those with Tourist Permits (no visas for US Citizens) are not duty free. I have a local broker too. Hyde Shipping uses a customs agent here where you receive your documents to receive your items. They ship to Puerto Morelos and you have to use a delivery company from there. Getting to the island is doable. The freight ferry from Punta Sam will hold pretty good sized trucks. I can give you some tips on this whole deal if you want.

Curious. 2 large houses on Isla Mujeres are not cheap yet you seem on the cheap with furnishings. Liverpool at the mall has excellent quality stuff. There are a couple of quality stores on Xcaret, one street over from Coba, and they are almost behind El Triunfo.

Not sure of your art budget but I have an artist friend from whom I have several pieces. She paints custom stuff and it's quite affordable for the quality. You can get art framed at cheap prices at Market 23. I have used this little place for years.

I also have a guy who is a custom woodworker, who builds doors, tables, chairs, cabinets etc. No English but if you have dimensions and pictures he can do it from that.

Happy to help you out if you are interested. I have been here 10 years and on this forum for longer than that.

6. blizzzz

blizzzz Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Customs Broker?

I've talked with the guys at Hyde but I would like more information on a Customs Broker that you would recommend. Having some things shipped from US to Tulum and I could even pick them up or curious regarding having them delivered.

Appreciate your help!

D

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We furnished our home locally. We found the best furniture shops for us were Actual (inventory even includes some U.S. manufactured furniture), Prego, Liverpool, and Dicos.

We are very satisfied with our sofas, custom made in Guadalajara; our beds, made in Indonesia; our mattresses (U.S. brands, made in Mexico); and all the other items bought locally but sourced from many parts of the world.

Our most beautiful lamps were made in the U.S. but bought locally, at Actual.

Was the stuff expensive? Isn't it everywhere, whether you buy locally or in the U.S.?

8. ExploreCun

ExploreCun Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice