Bed Buying

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by YessicaBB, Jul 9, 2008.

1. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    buying beds

I do not disagree that Telebodega has a huge selection. I do not disagree that Telebodega allows you to test the mattresses. I do not disagree about the price negotiation or the free delivery. However you can test the mattresses in Costco, Sams and Wal Mart as well. All you have to do is put them down on the ground and they can be tested. And these 3 places are cheaper then Telebodega. I went through this right after Wilma. Telebodega had the mattresses, but the quality that I found at the other 3 stores was far better quality, made by Sealy with the pillow top beat out Telebodega in price by a huge margin. What you paid for your beds at Telebodega was about 30% more then at Sams where I ended up buying the mattress, or Wal Mart where I tried to buy the mattress but had problems and had to take them back. Indeed Sams charged delivery of $25 to the hotel zone, but if you consider that I saved all the money, the guy took 2 sets of matrimonial beds and one set of king bed up the stairs due to elevators not working after Wilma, it was well worth the effort and moneyas well. Even if you bargain you could not beat the price I got from Sams at Telebodega no matter what. And the mattress sets are basically the same for Sealy at Telebodega and at Sams or Wal Mart. The only reason I did not buy it at Costco is because they were out of mattresses at the time.

And do not forget if you return the mattresses to Costco, Wal Mart they will take it back no questions asked in a matter of a few weeks or months. Try that at Telebodega. I do not think it will work. The mattress I took back to Wal Mart they took back no questions no issues. By the way I paid at Sams 2500 for the Sealy mattress top set, and 3500 for the king set(all including the box spring). (note this was November 2005) So I think that you really need to look at what you buy just as you do in the States. Guess you need to check your prices more carefully the next time out.

2. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gabesz

Wont argue with you. I know what kind of deal I got. Personally I would never by a mattress at walmart. I bought a lot of stuff at costco though including hot dogs for lunch a couple of days. But Telebodega blows away Coscto, Walmart and Sams for mattresses. Costco offers only 2 styles of Sealy and their prices were higher for a similar mattress the telebodega and you are not buying a good mattress/box spring combo anywhere today for 3500 for king size. So we are not comparing apples to apples sorry. I wanted high end stuff and obviously you were looking at budget stuff.

The only other thing I bought from telebodega was three 32" lcd tv's again they their prices on these 32 " LCD was $200 cheaper then Walmart, costco or Sams offered on a similar set. But I bought my 47" LCD at costco as their price killed Walmart and Sams.

I also found Costco to be a lot cheaper then Sams on most items

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Yessica is concerned not just with the mattress but with the actual bed as well.

I've found that Telebodega is the cheapest place to buy TVs and appliances in Cancun. I haven't bought mattresses there so I can't speak to that. But their furniture is almost all HORRENDOUSLY UGLY in my humble opinion. The beds I've looked at there are very low quality wood-alike, I couldn't even consider buying any of the beds I've seen there except maybe a solid wood rustic pine one. Growing up in a house full of solid wood antiques spolied me for life...

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I only knew about the little Telebodegas for a long time, once I discovered the giganto one on Lopez Portillo I kind of changed my mind about them. I thought they had a really limited selection, and the small ones do, but the big one is warehouse sized and I actually saw some bedroom sets that I liked. If you go upstairs, they have an entire floor devoted to mattresses where yes, you can try them out.

If you haven't been to the big one, check them out, they do have great prices. It's on Lopez Portillo, past Kabah (though I can't remember if it is past Andres Quintana Roo or not, it's impossible to miss it though).

5. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    buying beds

Steve:
    All I know that I compared the beds at Telebodega, Sams and Wal Mart. I also checked the Sealy Matresses on Consumer Reports on line. The models I got are far better then the higher end ones at Telebodega. Though Telebodega did have some for high prices, I did not feel that they are worth the money, since they were some that I would not be able to sleep on. So, I did not get them. The ones I purchased were not low end or budget mattreses in any way. Though you may equate high end with high price, reality does not work that way. There are some real high end items out there at budget prices. You just have to look for them and find them, which I did. And indeed Costco is better then all the other stores, but they did not have what I wanted at the time. So they were not part of the equation. And do note that the mattresses you would find at Costco are always much cheaper then the high end stuff you will find at Telebodega or any other store. Telebodega buys in volume, but Wal Mart, Sams and Costco buy 100 times more volume on a given day then Telebodega does all year, so they can offer you the best quality for the best price. That is the reality of retail. And overall if you are happy with your mattresses no matter what you paid, that is all that counts. I am happy with what I have and trust me they are better then what I have at home here in the States for much less then what I would pay in the States for them.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Probably the most in depth discussion on bed buying in Cancun ever!

I still think I got the best deal though.... after Wilma, Club Med used their insurance to replace their entire mattress inventory which included the spare unused ones. Jannets stepdad works there as maintenance and we bought two king size, unused, still in wrapper, undamaged for $10 each :)

7. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought a king size mattress yesterday - I went to sam's 5000, then to costco 7000, then I stopped at muebles lourdes by mercado 28 and close to my house - 3700, free delivery. It was on my bed within 20 minutes of purchasing it, and I didn't have to move a finger - service was great and I'd rather buy from the local stores any day, if I can (and the price is right!!). :D

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Steve! Great and thorough discussion--thanks.

Now let me see if I can take advantage of all the experience to turn the topic a little bit.

Which mattress is the best?

I am furnishing a condo and want to get a really good mattress and good pillows. I never have problems when traveling at the hotels but have minor back problems at home so I need a really good one. Any suggestions?
    TIA

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We sleep on a sprung futon, a weird concept I know. It's a traditional folding cotton futon, but it's 14 inches thick and has springs. It's a special order mattress even in the states. It was gobs of money, but it's the best mattress I've ever slept on. This, I realize, is no help at all to anyone shopping for a mattress in Cancun, but given the depth of opinion in this thread I just thought I would throw it in.

10. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TIA

Beds and mattresses are a personal choice. Telebodega as I mentioned lets you test them out. Go test away there are dozens to choose from. Pillows, I suggest Cosctco has theose memory foam pillows for like $30 US each

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice