Beach recovery Update Feb. 13

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jim in Cancun, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Article from today's Novedades de Quintana Roo. My translation)

Secretary of Tourism to Arrive
    On Monday they will announce the dates for the beach rescue program

Next Monday the Mexican secretary of Tourism, Rodolfo Elizondo Torres, will be here in Cancun when they publish the dates for the work on the Quintana Roo Beach Recovery with funds of more than $800,000,000 pesos ready to be spent for at least the next 10 years.

The trusts are ready with $300,000,000 pesos from the Federal government, $300 million pesos from the municipalities of Benito Juarez, Cozumel and Solidaridad and $200 million from the State government. The day before yesterday they finished signing the documents to guarantee financing through Banobras with $300 million pesos for the 3 municipalities with eroded beaches.

With that, there is a total of $500 million pesos that they already have of which $200 million are from the State and $300 million from the federal governments. The $300 million that come from the federal government are from the following sources: $100 million from the Environmental Secretariat SEMARNAT, and $100 million each from its counterparts the the communication and transportation (SCT)and the tourism (Sectur) secretariats.

This coming Monday Rodolfo Elizondo will be here in Cancun where they will kick of the Routes Americas 2009 event where the principal commercial airlines of our continent meet. The same day they will publish the dates for the recovery program for the beaches as well as for the maintenance programs for them for the next 10 years stated the (translator's note: "outgoing") head of the Cancun Hotel Association, Jesus Almaguer Salazar. (He is going to head up the Visitor and Convention Bureau.)

By the end of March they will start working on the first part in order to have wide beach spaces for locals, Mexican and international tourists attracted to the beauty of the Mexican Caribbean. The work will be finished before the end of June.
    ----------------
    More Translator's notes:
    1.- They had talked about a bidding process then they said, no, the company to do the work would be handpicked. Now the papaers are saying that on Feb 18, the bidding process with all of the parameters will be put out on the internet. (Let's see who finds it first!!)
    2.- I learned many years ago that here in Mexico when you see a date like "Feb. 18" that is is always important to ask "what year?" !!!
    3.- There also appeared in today's same paper, an official note from the State government announcing that the Beach Recovery Program is well along and that:
    a.- The Trust mechanism is in place for the money to be administered for the rebuilding and maintenance of the beaches for the next 10 years;
    b.- Officials have been assigned to oversee a transparent use of the funds and the project;
    c.- The approved technical studies have been ready since Dec. 18 of last year;
    d.- The Environmental Impact Study is in process of being approved shortly;
    e.- The collection of the beach use taxes will be used to pay proportionately for the work done in the 3 different municipalities;
    f.- The bases of the bidding will be announced just as soon as the Bank authorizes the financing and
    g.- "Finally it is timely to reiterate that the Secretary of Tourism of both the Federal and State of Quintana Roo governments are doing everything in their power to make sure that this important projects concludes cith success and in benefit of the tourism activity and the economic and social development of the State and the Country."

2. chaz517

chaz517 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    goood news that the ball is still rolling on this. thanks again for the updates!!!!

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chaz:

Off-Topic Question: I see you are at the Salvia and then the ME and have seen others asking about the ME together with Riu Caribe and Oasis. The question is(without prying too much): Is the ME (supposedly upscale high class)giving out some low rates? Just curious. TIA

4. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is really unfortunate that they spend money only in the Hotel Zone, never Puerto Juarez/Punta Sam, although we pay our federal taxes. We too have tourists visiting, and it is a great location. :mad:

5. chaz517

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim, it is very trendy and i would say 4 star resort. the people there arent snobby, and the rooms are new and upscale. they have electric oil burners everywhere causing a beautiful aroma pretty much anywhere you go. they also play some type of techno music all day in parts of the lobby and near the pool, which is nice at first, and gets old after a while. also they have 3 or 4 great great restaurants which is always a plus. average age was probably between 26-33. rates can be had for a great deal considering the type of hotel it is. they offer many different room types for many different prices. i recommend it for sure though hope this helps!!!

6. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Chaz.

I am aware of the 5-star upscale reputation and amenities of the hotel. What is interesting is that I am seeing it being sold at prices of 3-star properties and wondering if this could be a trend. Thanks and have a great time.

7. chaz517

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no problem Jim. It is definitely cheaper than last yr at this time that is for sure!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice