Beach Recovery Postponed AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jim in Cancun, May 1, 2009.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just when we need something to bring back the tourists after this crisis passes (and it will pass), they come out with this.

1.- After a closed door meeting of the Governor of Q.Roo, the Mayor of Cancun, The local tax and tourism secretaries and the Secretariat of the Environment (SEMARNART), the Federal Tourism Secretary announced that the beach recovery program will be postponed yet another month.

2.- The Environmental Impact Study should be ready around the middle of May. It will require a public referendum to approve it (not voting, just public meetings to discuss the program). This is required by law when one is asked for.

3.- Another reason to postpone it this past Wednesday was that the companies involved won't "guarantee" the work of rebuilding the beaches.

4.- In spite of this, the Federal Tourism Secretary, for the umpteenth time, assured us that the program will begin in July and finish in November.

5.- He said that this is not happening because of the pandemic. On the contrary, it needs to happen since Cancun needs to be the leader in bringing tourism back to Mexico when this is over.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did the solve the MXP vs. USD issue? And how on earth can they expect a guarantee? Isn't the weather up to Mother Nature?

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish I could say I am surprised, but I'm not. Too bad they couldn't start right now while the beaches don't have as many tourists on them. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice