Beach Rebuilding Redux

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Jim in Cancun, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So what is a geotube and who cares?

http://www.geotubes.com/pressroom/index.htm

The State government has pledged $17 million dollars to put geotubes along the Cancun chore to protect from erosion and build up the beaches. So now that we know where the $$ is coming from, let the games begin! (They are saying March or April.)

2. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When will those frickin' "Opprotunists" realize. El Mar is the most powerful force on earth. He controls the weather, the Temperature and is very possesive of his shorline.
    They are going to waste all that money of putting something in that El Amar will destroy in one Hurricane. When they could put it into education for the locals (Not just kids either, some adults on the beaches need to learn to pick up on Sunday afternoon, or more enviromental protections for the Sea Turtles or the Reef.
    Damn Politics!!! :cool:
    P.S. El Mar is powerful but is mostly contolled by La Luna, "Feminine Moon"

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow! What a reactionary. I wonder if we can put roofs over our heads to keep us from the rain or if that would somehow be thwarting the Almighty's plan as well. Anyway, if you think that is "bad" (which I don't) then look at http://images.google.com/images?q=d...lz=1T4SUNA_es___MX203&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

I had heard that the same company that did the original beach restore (Jan de Nul) was also working on this project. Really impressive. Of course I am sure the Prince of Dubai--besides building aritficial isands out of sand--also spends money for education--as does Mexico. I am glad to see the government is putting some money into helping the destination produce more jobs, schools, roads and homes.

BTW I wonder how many of those education (trasnportation, communication, etc.) dollars come from the fact that Cancun has beaches.

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That Palm Island project is so creepily cool. Aside from being able to tell people that you live there and how cool it looks from above, I am not so sure how neat it would be to live on one of the branches. Still neat though.

5. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The had a program just the other night on the National Geographic channel about the construction. They have already started another group of 300 little private islands that--from the sky--look like the earth!

Impressive how they have overcome the challenges that Nature has presented--so far anyway. And the key--as with the beaches of Cancun or Miami or anywhere is maintenance.

6. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Note that:
    I suspect this is being considered as an alternative to having to reconstruct the beaches yet again - particularly that with the incontravertible prediction that global warming will, in fact, lead to more numerous hurricanes of stronger force in upcoming years.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The use of either geotubes or cement breakwaters was the recommendation of the company that did the rebuilding and I agree that global warming will just make things worse. On the bright side, my ranchito (about 10 miles inland) may soon be beachfront property! LOL

8. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw that also Jim. Very cool looking from above. Its amazing what can be done.

The Cancun beach situation needs a maintenance plan. A long range one at that.

9. Singer

Singer Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How much shoreline ?

Hola Jim,

Thanks for the post! Did I read earlier ( within the past two weeks) that only a portion (Northern 12KM) of the Caribbean side is scheduled to get the "makeover" with the geotubes or is the entire shoreline along the "7" going to receive the same treatment?

Peace!! :cool:

ODAAT

10. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Cantante!!

What I have been reading is that they are just talking about the 12 kms. on the long side of the 7. I think most of the top side gained sand with Wilma!!

BTW 6,549 days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice