beach conditions

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by cindyinmpls, Jul 9, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's my understanding that Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres eroded very fast after sand to rebuild Cancun's beaches was dredged from an area just to the north of Playa Norte.

So if I understand correctly since they dredged to rebuild Cancun's beaches they destroyed the sand supply for Playa Norte. Now both places have eroded beaches.

Goes to show that you can't mess with nature.

On the other hand there are some spots up north of Cancun, in Isla Blanca, where the beaches have been growing in recent years...so the beaches are not eroded everywhere...

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Playa Norte, along the west coast facing Cancun, has indeed been diminished. But the very northern point where the shore turns east has a huge beach and clear, calm water that stays less than a meter deep that extends at least 25 meters out from the shore. It's a longer walk, and even if you take a cab from the ferry you're going to have a bit of a hike, but it's well worth the effort. Also, because of that effort, it never gets as crowded as the "coastal" beach that faces Cancun. We where there Monday and had the place to ourselves for most of the day.

3. DaveT

DaveT Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone have a beach update for the Beach Palace area???? I'll be there in three weeks and wondering if there is a beach now. Any feedback would greatly appreciated!!!

DaveT
    Chicago

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ISLA MUJERES BEACHES AND PUERTO MORELOS

I went to Isla Mujeres for the weekend and stayed at a great hotel on Playa Norte, Hotel Ixchel. As Mix says, the beach facing Cancun has been diminished but it has a better beach now, IMHO, than Playa Norte. I am talking across the street from the lighthouse.

Our hotel was around the corner on North Beach, between the cemetary and Buhos. The beach in this area, again IMHO, have never recovered from Wilma. In fact we had to step over submerged sand bags to get to knee deep water. There is lots of debris in this entire area. But the water is calm and you can walk out forever. Still a great trip and I have zero complaints. Life is good.

The previous Saturday we went down to Pto. Morelos in the aftermath of Gustav. The beach was filthy and the water was 20-30 meters into the beach where we usually go. There is a little palapa where we like to put our stuff under and debris and water were about half way up the pole to the table area.

What was amazing was that the waves were non-existent as usual thanks to the reef. But the 3 inch waves kept running and running up the shoreline. The water was too strong for my tastes. Way off shore I estimate waves were 3-4 meters high. I really wish I had a kick butt zoom lens as it would have made for some spectacular photos.

5. DaveT

DaveT Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks T.J.! If you or anyone else has ANY info. about the beach situation around the hotel zone, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!

DaveT

6. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Favorite Beach is Playa Marlin (Right behind Plaza Kulkakan, in the middle of the "Zone"
    I haven't been to beach in severl weeks, no time. The las time I was there it was pretty nice, about 100ft of sand. THEN I went yesterday and there is nothing but rock and the ocean is actually hittin the hotel walls.
    Dolfines is fine and Chocmal looked good..
    I have some photos but I am computer stupid. I will have someone show me how to post them. Steve where are you???? Damn digital stuff. :cool: [/img]

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We haven't been to a hotel zone beach in ages and ages. We do go to Isla Blanca frequently and Puerto Morelos slightly less often. Last time we were in Puerto Morelos it was lovely, lots of beach, but things change! Isla Blanca ALWAYS has sand, no hotels or development and rarely any tourists. Shhh, it's our rustic little secret....

Here's a pic from Isla Blanca a few months ago (not much has changed, I just haven't been snapping....).

[​IMG]

8. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    actually I DON'T have a question about the beach in front of the Royal Sands. . .I just want to take a look at my counter. . .LOL. . .I'll be on what little beach there is in a little over two weeks. . .or poolside, me da igual. . .tomando una michelada.

9. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    beach repair

Someone over at TA said the LA Times had an article that stated Mexico was about to spend almost 100 million USD on beach repair. Has anyone heard about this?. ..maybe when it's going to start?

Until those shallow break areas a couple of hundred yards offshore are built back whatever they do on the beach will be temporary at best. Of course, I'm no civil engineer. I've been told I'm not very civil period. :)

10. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

SHOW OFF!!!
    :evil:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice