Back from Cancun (quick report)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by vrodgers, Feb 25, 2008.

1. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We had another wonderful trip this year to Cancun. Our return stay at the Solymar did not disappoint -- already booked for next year! Pictures are posted on the Cancun Pic forum.

Majority of time we spent on the beach (up by 6:00, go for a run, then on beach by 8:00, drinking by 9:00). The weather was probably the best we have ever had in Cancun -- sunny every day, with only one day that it clouded over by mid-afternoon and rained for about 1/2 hour.

Two big adventures this year -- first was a day trip to Coba through "All Native Tours". Would highly recommend this one! Van picked us up at 7:30, drive for 1 & 1/2 hours on secondary highways, through several small Mayan villages. First we did a small rapel down to a sinkhole, climbed up other side then zip-line over sinkhole back to gate. Then, back in van for 1/2 hour drive to jungle -- a 15 minute hike, then 10 minute kayak ride to a cenote site. Before going down cenote to swim, had a traditional Mayan shaman perform a blessing on us. Cenote was amazing! Water was crystal clear, limestone formations everywhere, very therapeutic! Then served a traditional Mayan lunch before heading to Coba site to see the archaeological ruins. Not as spectacular as Chitzen Itza, but still worth the trip. Highlight of that day, however, was the 25 second video I took -- check it out on You Tube ...

[media=youtube]WurJlFG8-c0[/media]

Second adventure was taking the helicopter tour of Cancun on Valentine's Day. The view was breathtaking, as we flew from one end of the hotel zone to the other, first on the lagoon side then back ocean side.

Of course, a few day trips to Isla Mujeres were always memorable. Dan would go snorkeling or rent a scooter while I would spend the day relaxing at Playa Sol. Food there is wonderful -- I would recommend the fish fingers and onion rings!

Best meals were at "The Fisherman" (El Pescador) downtown Cancun. Wonderful meals, especially the parmesan fish fillet. Dan would have the 1/2 bbq chicken for only 60 pesos, which would be enough to feed two! We also had a nice meal at the Distilleria with friends; their love margaritta will do you in! As each year, we also had great meals at the Seahorse, Casa Tequilla and tried Carillo's for the first time.

Can't wait to go back ....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you got the name of the tour company incorrect. It should be http://www.alltournative.com shouldn't it?

I did the tour about 4 years ago....my very explicit, detailed trip report of that trip is posted here if someone wants to search for it. It's pretty much a blow by blow of everything that happened on the tour.

I highly recommend doing this tour or any of the ones that they offer.

Michelle

3. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whoops, just had the two words in title mixed up -- thanks, Michelle.

I agree, fabulous company. Our guide, Adrian, was an absolute hoot! And with only 12 people in our group, you got to know everyone and share stories and laughs. Very well run organization.

4. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Val, I just looked at your pics ... WONDERFUL!

and I loved the sepia and black & white ones!

Glad you had another great trip!

The beach looks sooooo inviting!

:cool:

5. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My group was the same way....in fact, we got sooooo close to one another that trip that we still have reunions here in the states about every 2 years. Even the folks who live across the pond make the trip each time we get together.

It really was an amazing/life altering experiance that we went through as a group. The bonds formed in that one day will surely last a lifetime as none of us had EVER done or seen anything remotely close to what we did and saw on that tour.

I really wish more people could afford the tour, but for many families it's just too cost prohibitive.

Michelle

6. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Janie! I'm going to have a collage done with the black & white pics, I love them so much.

Also going to add a few of our videos onto You Tube -- do a search for our ID -- DVBran. Going to add a few more tonight. I'm hoping to add the six minute video of our helicopter trip, but not sure if it allows such lengthy vids.

7. B1baller

B1baller Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow looks like you had a good time! Good report!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice