Avoiding "Ripoffs"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Dec 1, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    AIRPORT TRANSFERS

We have, several times, used the bus service to and from the airport, finding it just fine, for us, and enjoying the money saving possibilities, at 40 pesos per person; but, there have been times when the service Steve was talking about made sense for us- for instance, when we had a lot of luggage and didn't want to struggle with it; or, when we've had guests coming in who were not familiar with Cancun- and all the ins and outs of using the bus- making the simplicity of a "pick up" appealing to all concerned. This service has also seemed nice when we had guests with a very early departure time, and they've appreciated it.

Going to the airport, we've never had a taxi driver refuse 150 pesos: locals say we're paying to much, and 100 pesos is enough for a ride TO the airport.

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I just spent five days in Oaxaca and, although I was not ripped off, I saw more examples of employees, and others, eagerly ripping off their employers, coworkers, and the government, of much needed funds. Twice, waiters tried to collect our "tab" for the evening without presenting a bill, but did so when asked. (One of these two times it was especially obvious what was going on, as the waiter called to a street vendor to get change for the 500 I gave her, rather than going to her cashier with the money: other "methods" may require the complicity of the cashier.)

The other situation which raised suspicions was at a national park, where there were many tour groups coming and going. Our guide took cash from our group for "admission". As we went in I noticed he was greeted in an unusually warm way by those working there, selling and checking tickets. On our visit, we never saw any tickets, nor were we ever asked to show any tickets. (I was not in the mood to question anybody, that day, about what was going on, though I try to make it a practice to do so.)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I mentioned this one, earlier:
    Happened, again, yesterday, at Chedraui. A can of tuna, this time, slid under a stack of plastic bags on the surface where the bagging takes place. I saw what was happening, and just reached under the bags to retrieve it- as we left without comment. (Notice, no one thought I was stealing anything, when I took it: they knew I'd already paid for it.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice