AVOID THIS PLACE EVEN IF YOU ARE STARVING TO DEATH.

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by T.J., Mar 9, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Today I had an email from a friend who lives in PM. He more or less said that in the years that he has lived there he has only been to Los Pelicanos one time, and that was enough.

Hey gbchayctca,

The other day someone laughingly called me Gabacho. Is this like being told I am extraño. Is this spanish or mayan. Can I call someone this word without offending them? I figured you would know about this for sure. Thanks.

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gabacho
    adj. frenchified; Pyrenean
    gabacho (m)
    n. Pyrenean villager; (derogatory) frenchy, froggy; Yankee, stranger (disparaging term for white Americans used mainly by Hispanic-Americans and Latinos)

You're sure they were laughing, T.J? :D

3. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It totally depends on the context, TJ! If someone was sneering at you, then definitely disparaging.

But many I know simply use it as a descriptive term instead of gringo/a.

It's Spanish...most Mexicans will understand it.

If you hear someone say that they were hanging out with "El Chino" "El Cojo" and "El Gabacho" for example, it's descriptive. But if they shout it at you, not so nice!

4. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've lived here in PM for 5 years and only go there for drinks sometimes with friends to be on the water. It is definitly "tourist" restaurant and very few locals ever eat there. However it is a good place to hide out from from the other locals for those "secret meetings". lol

5. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well that really sucks TJ, Perry ate there again when updating Riviera Maya (that would have been in November) it had improved since the last map so he added it to the recommended list for breakfast and lunch.
    On our last Riviera Maya map it was not recommended.
    I think we can safely say the place is quite inconsisitent. Especially after your experience! The pictures speak a 1,000 words!

I don't remember Perry ever loving that restaurant. I do know people that do though.

6. Bethy

Bethy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am so glad I read this!
    We leave for cancun in 5 days and this is one of the restaurants that someone recomended we try.
    I'll be crossing it off my list. There are way too many great places to eat, to waste time and $$ on this place.
    Thanks again!!

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mapchick,

I have a mind like a steel trap. I am pretty sure that Perry loved this place back when we posted on the old Cancun.com board years ago.

It was something about the many ways that they prepared the shrimp.

Sorry though if I got it wrong.

8. Laura Mapchick

Laura Mapchick Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you could be correct you old steel trap you! cancun.com, 7 or 8 years ago?
    I guess I was thinking more recent years. :)

9. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Los Pelicanos

Went there when we first moved here 10 years ago...tried it twice and never went back...not when Cancun has so many other inexpensive seafood places that are excellent!
    Go to Timon de Cancun TJ...it's EXCELLENT and very reasonable. The one on Chitzin Itza is my favorite. If my mom likes it....it's a GO! The seafood is always FRESH and FANTASTIC! Not much of a view (a big palapa) but go to the beach after lunch! Buen Provecho!

10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun Nurse,

Yesterday I actually went to El Timon on Uxmal, close to the intersection of Chichen Itza. I am not sure if this is the one you meant or the one that is way west on Chichen Itza. But this is a totally different atmosphere than Pelicanos in terms of size, location, etc. For those who may not know, El Timon is much smaller.

We have also been going to Muelle 28, on the street in front of Market 28. They have great fish tacos and you can watch tourists try to figure out how to cross the street and where they are, meaning they have no idea how to get back to the bus.

But the fish tacos are supreme and they are served with this chipotle mayo sauce that is very good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice