Avalon Grand ***** AI

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 22, 2005.

1. txman22

txman22 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We own at Grand & just came back from Avalon Reef in Isla on Sat, as the Grand is still being fixed up from hurricane. We spent a day at Avalon Baccara a few doors down from Grand & saw the Grand still being worked on.

Locals keep saying they are planning on opening Labor Day weekend, but from what I saw, that will never happen. October-November is more realistic, unless they open up only parts of the hotel.

As owner in at the Grand, was able to use Baccara for the day. It was very nice, but very quiet & private, only 27 rooms, about 1/2 for timeshares & 1/2 used as hotel. The dinner restaurant, Avanti was very very good & very very empty.

If you want to be away from crowds, Baccara is the place. Avalon, when finished, looks like it will be even better than it was before.

2. DaveT

DaveT Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What about Beach Palace?

Sounds like Avalon Grand is coming along. Any info. on Beach Palace which is right next door to Avalon?

DaveT

3. K Man

K Man Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just returned from Cancun & went to see The Avalon & Beach Palace. The
    Avalon hotel section is open, the villas are still under renovation. The whole place has been facelifted, hotel lobby, pool area, etc...Don't know about the rooms. They were filling the pool on thursday. It looks awesome.

The Beach Palace still looks a little while longer. The steel is in place, that's about all. Maybe 3 months??? I will post picture soon. Hope this helps you.

4. mz_teedee

mz_teedee Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The new and inproved Avalon Grand looks 10 times better than it was before. Only the front portion of the hotel and pool is open. But, I have to say it looks amazing compared to what it was before i was impressed.

5. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    really? Wow, I stayed there a few years ago before wilma and I thought it was nice then!! Great news!

6. mz_teedee

mz_teedee Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah!! They've done it up with a more modern touch. The lobby is now bigger and extends out to where the jacuzzi and pool was in between the property. There's a nice lounge bar in the lobby. Pool looks much nicer with a waterfall like feature. I can't wait to see it all done. It looks really good. Haven't seen the rooms yet, but if they are anything like what I seen it should be awesome!!

7. cancunbarbie

cancunbarbie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Good & Bad

Stayed at the Avalon Grand over Christmas and the improvements are great. The expanded lobby bar and sitting area is really nice and an enjoyable place to relax and have a drink w/friends at night. The new pool and pool deck is also very nice. There is also a new bar by the pool that serves drinks and made to order lunches like quesadillas, hamburgers, sandwiches..... The rooms look pretty much the same, but w/new bedspreads and plasma t.v.'s. Some negative points though - it was quite obvious to us and everyone else that the hotel is shorthanded. Trying to get service in the restaurant upstairs was almost impossible and the same goes for the pool bar w/one bartender trying to serve all the drinks and one guy trying to prepare all of the made to order lunches. So, overall the hotel looks better, but the service is worse!

8. CancunRedheadgirl

CancunRedheadgirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Avalon Grand

Been a while since I have beenon the forum, but am looking to head to Cancun in January. We toured the Avalon Grand about 2 years ago I think it was and thought it looked wonderful..

My question is this.. is this a time share only type of hotel? My travel agent, who uses numberous companies, is unable to locate this hotel anywhere.. so she suggested that maybe you must own time there.

Does anyone know if this is true? If not, wht agency would someone recommend for me to call to book my vacation at the Avalon?

Im a litttle leary of booking thru Expedia or Travelocity.. at least to a destination such as Cancun...

HELP!!!

Kathleen :roll:

9. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I see Avalon Grand listed all the time on various sites.

Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Apple Vacations, BookIt.com, Sidestep, VacationExpress.com, etc.. are all fine for booking to Cancun.

for example on Vacation Express for Jan 12-19 out of St Louis, MO(picked a random city):

Avalon Grand
    The all-inclusive Avalon Grand Cancun is a small, yet active beachfront resort close to Cancun's best shopping and nightlife ... a perfect choice for couples and families with children.

Roundtrip air transportation from St. Louis to Cancun on Saturday, January 12, 2008 for 7 nights, for 2 people Departing Flight(s):

St. Louis Sat 12-Jan-08 Frontier Airlines 0044
    to Cancun 7:00 am - 10:10 am
    Returning Flight(s):
    Cancun Sat 19-Jan-08 Frontier Airlines 0043
    to St. Louis, Mo 7:10 pm - 10:17 pm
    This fare requires payment by midnight EST

** Xtreme Winter Sale **
    7 nights accommodation at Avalon Grand for 2 people occupying 1 room(s)
    Standard - All Inclusive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Price: $878.00 2 adult(s) $1756.00
    Taxes and fees $96.00 2 people 192.00
    Total Package Price: $1948.00

10. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Avalon Grand is a GREAT place, stayed there about 3 years ago! You do not have to have timeshare, however, you can get the place dirt cheap by renting a "time share" there, plus you get members only free drinks all day at their members bar!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice