Atlante- Premiere of pro soccer in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by CancunCanuck, Aug 11, 2007.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Mexican Soccer League is now in Cancun with team Atlante moving here from Mexico City. The first game is on right now and we're up one nothing over the Pumas. :D

Games are held in the new stadium close to Walmart. Tickets can be bought through the bus station website www.ticketbus.com.mx or at Soriana. Cheapest tickets are 200 pesos, VIP tickets are 600 pesos.

http://www.club-atlante.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CF_Atlante

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I find this really strange, anyone else?

Cancun doesn't have a decent football team, so they build a stadium (in about 6 weeks start to finish) and bring a Premier League team in from somewhere :?

Where were Atlante based before? and what about all their supporters?

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks Kelly, that's a useful link. I did Google it for a few mins but couldn't find much at all, and most of what I did was in Spanish.

That kind of move is virtually unheard of in the UK, although I think it has happened once. I feel sorry for the die hard fans in DF who have just been cast aside though.

5. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In the States it has happened in baseball and in (American) football where a team has moved cities. Especially in football. Los Angeles once had two NFL teams, the Raiders and the Rams. Now they have none.

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sort of like Wimbledon Steve, and look what happened to them!

7. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What I find interesting and refreshing is that the teams are viewed more like fanchises in the Mexican leagues, much in the way a famous fast food company would view one of its stores. I find that to be refreshing because it gives owners more of a right to make a business decision that could benefit their investment and the team's survival. I do not like how if a MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA team wants to move, the ownership has to first jump through hoops in order to make one happen. Make no mistake about it, it always comes down to money, and in those instances it is the other owners who have set it up in order that they can take a piece of the pie when another team wants to make a change of this magnitude. Just my opinion, I am happy to see Cancun get a team, but I'm still going to be a fan of Los Rayados de Monterrey, first and foremost.

212eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice