Astronomy Question, Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Arizona Al, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Arizona Al

Arizona Al Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been coming here for 10 years and as long as I can remember when I look up I only see ONE stare that's brightly lit in the sky from Cancun. Can anyone tell me the name of that star? I tried doing a search but came up empty.

Thanks

2. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,673 / 4
  3. Cancunscorpio

Cancunscorpio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I am no astronomer but as far as I know Venus is very brightly lit and perfectly visible in Cancun. Hope this helps.

P.S. Love the summer sky in Arizona.

4. BnK

BnK Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,159 / 0
    Uranus has made an appearance or two from the vantage point of the sexy pool, at least while we’ve been looking.

5. Arizona Al

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not a planet, it's a star. Planets move because of their orbit around the sun and Earth's orbit around the sun. The star I am seeing is in the same location every time I see it. The object I am seeing is very bright and is the brightest star I can see from Cancun. There is way to much in the way of man made light to see much more than the moon on most nights. This star is an exception. In the early morning I am able to see a few dimly lit stars if there are no clouds. I did send an email to theskylive.com asking them if they know what star it is, waiting for an answer. Pretty much all the website I went to trying to find out what I was seeing only discuss planets, meteors showers, and asteroids. It I knew the direction that might help, but did not see a reason to bring my compass with me to Cancun. Thanks to those who have replied.

AL

6. SUPnSun

SUPnSun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +419 / 1
    It depends on what time of year you’re there as different stars are visible at different times of the year.

If your their in winter you could be seeing Sirius. It’s visible in the SW. It’s found just to the left of the Orion constellation.

8CD0543A-4AF7-4873-B0CE-9CD853EF5E2F.jpeg

It would be the star in the bottom left of the picture. (Took this with an iPhone a few weeks back...)

7. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    That’s the flame from the incinerator plant!
    Los of gas to burn off from all the tourist ingesting the local foods!

8. Arizona Al

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sirius, after looking it up it would seem like the most likely one. As I stated before, most nights I'm only seeing the one star. When I do see more than one, they are so dim they are difficult to see with the naked eye. With Sirius being the brightest star in the sky I'll go along with that. Thanks for stepping up with the suggestion about Sirius.

Al

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice