Are you scared?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 2, 2012.

1. slore19

slore19 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My bad posting a MINOR issue. I guess that is exactly what racism and hatred has been minimized to. As always, politics bring out the best in people. I won't take it the wrong way as long as it's not done to me, but please believe, if you, or anyone else was caught writing the word N*GGA on something on my lawn, it would become a MAJOR issue.

2. BobbyNJaime

BobbyNJaime Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +348 / 0
    "today I’m pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office. This will not be easy. It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we’ve long neglected. But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay — and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control.”.......anyone care to guess the speaker? That's right, President Obama.

There are people voting for Romney just because Obama is black, there are people voting for Obama just because he is black. Neither one of those is an educated reason to vote for a President. But let's not generalize in such a way to say most Republicans are racists.

For full disclosure I voted for Obama in '08 and he didn't lose my vote this year because he's black.

I support neither "major" candidate this year, Liberty is on the ballot in every state and I believe Liberty is the only thing that can save this country. I just jumped in this thread to discuss the massive debt that isn't being addressed by either big party.

3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Slore, racism is out there and probably always will be. There are those who will not vote for Obama because he's black and there are those who will only vote for him because he's black. Both positions are ignorant at best. Neither voting for or against Obama is not going to cure racism in this or any other country.

The point being made by both Rob (diamondheaded) and others is that right now we have a nation that is spending more than it is taking in. This spending spree puts us all in jeopardy. That is black, white, yellow, and whatever color you would care to insert into the equation. We are all in this together and, in spite of Obama's Desire to divide this nation, we all will benefit from the deficit being put under control. Based on past actions and broken promises, Obama is not the man for the job. Will Romney be the best choice? Only time will answer that question.

4. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    pretty much ed

i mean enough with all the racisim crap - its just getting so damn old - let it go people

prejudice and to a lesser degree racisim (the most over used and incorrectly used the world has ever known) will always exsist its just the way things are - we all deal with every day in some form or fashion

and to bring it up at this point (with the dire financial situation our country is facing) and to focus on it is like entering a restaurant that has dog shit all over the floor.......blood on the walls.........cocaine on the tables........then walking right past it all.......oblivious.....then sitting down at a broken table and bitching at the waiter because they dont have coke zero

cmon people we are smarter than this penny ante bs

5. slore19

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ATTENTION,

I'm no longer voting for Mr. Obama. I will now be casting my vote for Gary Johnson. I guess it will be a wasted vote since he doesn't really have a shot.

6. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    It's not a wasted vote if you believe he is the best candidate for the job. Frankly more people need to vote like that as opposed to thinking they only have two choices.

7. slore19

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    it was sarcasm...lending to the notion of what some believe. The only wasted vote is the one not cast

8. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    glad to hear that, but there are a lot of people (doesn't matter if it's in the USA, Canada, the UK etc) who have that mindset that they have to pick a candidate who they don't like because they like another one less based totally on party lines. But I think that the US has the biggest problem in this regard.

People seem to think that there are only two choices and completely dismiss any other party as fringe, or a wasted vote.

9. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The problem with any third party candidate here in the US is that a vote for them basically throws the election to the Democratic candidate. Many people who vote Democrat do so regardless of who the candidate is. That is exactly how Bill Clinton got to be President. Without Ross Perot in the race, Clinton would have lost to George Bush Sr. Sadly here in the US we are always faced with the lesser of evils for our voting choices. Been that way for just about as long as I can remember.

Dos, I really think a lot of the problem here in the US is the massive costs of elections. Estimates for this presidential election run into the $3 billion and up range. Pretty stupid numbers really. The choice of any candidate is that they must either be incredibly wealthy or they have to sell their soul or, in some cases, both.

10. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Ok I can see that point, but in the bigger picture isn't that just reinforcing the continual polarization of the parties in the US?

Democrats: big government, socially liberal (marijuana, gay marriage, pro-choice, social security, generally secular or non-denominational, etc)

Republicans: not quite as big government, socially conservative (war on drugs, traditional marriage, pro-life, less government interference, more and more in line with strong Christian groups (baptists, etc).)

From what I can tell, the Libertarians tend to fall somewhere in the middle, more than likely closer to the Republicans than Democrats. (smaller government, non committal on abortion, don't really care about marriage (likely more pro-gay marriage as a result), less government in their day to day lives, not generally swayed by religion, may be even MORE aggressive financially than Republicans)...

From what I can tell by watching the news is that Democrats and Republicans, even in the legislative branches are so far apart ideologically that they really can't give themselves any room to compromise, nothing gets done and your problems really can't work themselves out.

I remember about a year ago (or was it two?) when the credit rating for the US was lowered by a grade. At the time Standard and Poors (hope I remembered that right) said it was a direct result of congress and the white house being at an impasse on the debt ceiling. Both parties played chicken and as a country the US lost.

If not in the white house, maybe in congress or the senate it's time you guys got a third party in there. If for nothing else to get some legislation through.

Don't get me wrong, we aren't much better in Canada right now. Our Conservative party (on most issues essentially equal with the Democrats). Is up against two left wing/leaning parties (NDP and Liberals). Overall we just tend to be lucky because the Conservatives have a majority and can't really be derailed too easily by the other two parties. Plus the Prime Minister has been smart enough not to attack the golden gooses of health care and social security.

Anyways, a bit rambling but American politics amazes me and infuriates me at the same time. Almost all sources gave Romney the win in the first debate, but they were divided on the VP debate. Some saying that Biden was aggressive to Ryan and others saying that he put him in his place.

Ok I'm going to stop there... time to go to bed and Watch Jon Stewart lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice