Are you scared?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Oct 2, 2012.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    When I look at the mounting deficit I can't help but wonder, will we survive? Our national debt is now over $50,000 for every man, woman, and child in the US. It is mounting up faster than it has at any time in our history. How will we get past it? Obviously taxes have to go up and spending has to go down, but no one wants to recognize that as a potential solution, so where do we go from here? In the past inflation has been the tool of choice to reduce deficits, but inflation is worse than recession.

Do you think either candidate will be able to bring down the deficit? I'm sure Obama will just increase it, but can anyone bring it down? Ross Perot seems to think that we are on the verge of a financial collapse. If you don't remember Ross, he ran for President against Clinton and Bush I. He said at that time that the globalization is dumbest thing we could do and he said that it would be the demise of the middle class. I think he was right on that count, but how close are we to chaos?

2. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    i have said it once and i will say it again -

in our present state ----------> it is the ONLY thing the candidates and constituents should be concerned with - however, it is not politically convenient to discuss so we never do

..........and the band plays on

rob

3. dikfore

dikfore I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +447 / 0
    I think we're screwed no matter what. I HATE Romney... But unfortunately, I think he'd be the lesser of two evils.

I'll be writing Ron Paul on my ballot.

4. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The national debt was enormous following WWII. That was followed by the most prosperous time in history.

5. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

That's true Brewster, but back then we were an exporting nation. Wages were constantly going up, our auto industry was the strongest in the world, and we were a producing nation. A very small percentage of the population was receiving some form of federal assistance and tax revenues were strong and consistent. Now, we have almost half the population getting some form of government assistance and paying no federal income tax and tax revenues will not even keep up with the commitments of entitlements let alone any other programs.

As Rob stated, the idiots in Washington from both parties have kicked this can down the road so many times that when we have to pay the piper, the cost will be extreme. As I keep on asking my liberal friends, and I do have a few, what will we do when the money runs out? Programs will have to be cut and taxes will have to go up. The cuts will be severe and the tax increases will be precipitous. What will happen to the economy then? I'd suggest that we all immigrate to Canada, but your economy and ours are joined at the wallet so we'd both suffer.

6. dikfore

Ratings:
    +447 / 0
    I think they should cut back a lot of the government things... Everybody loves working for the government because its such easy jobs. I work with people in multiple departments of the government, and almost every single one has the "I'm going to do as little as possible so that I don't get in trouble" attitude...

I also think they should implement drug testing on anybody that is getting any assistance regardless of what it is... Whether it be welfare, insurance, whatever... I'm not anti-drug by ANY means... But if you can't afford to buy your insurance, you shouldn't be buying drugs...

7. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I'm with you on both counts. We just had an IRS auditor in who was beyond incompetent. This woman had to improve to be considered stupid. She completely botched the audit and we'll have to take the case to Appeals because this woman was incompetent. It will cost the client a pretty good chunk of dollars when all they did wrong was to get stuck with an idiot as an auditor. What will happen to the dumbbell auditor? Absolutely nothing. No slap on the wrist or anything. She'll just keep on drawing her checks forever.

The drug testing for anyone on any form of government assistance is long overdue. I would even expand it to include nicotine and alcohol. If you can't pay for your own food then the taxpayers shouldn't have to fund your bad habits. Can you hear the ACLU howling now? Hey, if you feed at the taxpayers' trough, the taxpayers have a right to criticize how much you eat!

8. dikfore

Ratings:
    +447 / 0
    Agreed completely...

There are so many things that infuriate me... The home mortgage industry is another... I tried to refinance my house to do an addition... couldn't get approved.. was told to do a 203k refinance where they refinance for what the house would be worth AFTER the addition... Couldn't get approved, even though after the addition and the interest rate drop, my payment would have gone DOWN $10/mo...

So I wanted to refinance for just the lower rate/payment... I was told that i'm too much of a risk for that because of credit issues (Thanks ex wife)... So I was told by multiple mortgage brokers since my credit is iffy to stop paying my mortgage. That's right.. They said stop paying and they'll offer you a modification. I skipped ONE payment and they called offering me assistance, lowered my interest rate, and dropped my mortgage payment $250/mo...

Then I was told wait 6-8 months and i'll be able to refinance out of the modification and do my addition. Thanks Obama.

Its disgusting how the ones who try to be honest and follow the system are the ones who get screwed.

9. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    i promise you this is 100 percent true -

the other day i heard someone say say "hey i dont understand what the problem is, all they have to do is print more money"

amazing.........

the best

rob

10. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The honest guy is now the bad guy in American Society. The crook gets all kinds of government support and the honest hard worker gets the shaft. The problem comes down to accountability. We do not have it with our politicians, our teachers, our lawyers, and in just about every phase of our society. Sadly we all have to take the responsibility for that happening.

Most politicians don't have to worry about re-election because their districts have been structured so that the dummies who vote a straight ticket will just vote for whomever carries the appropriate label. Our teachers get tenure and can not be fired no matter how bad they are. Lawyers can go to extremes to get someone off whom they know is guilty, can you spell OJ? It is all part of what our Society has become. I don't see anyone out there who has the balls to change things.

Imagine the cries if you tried to take the free cell phones away from the welfare types. How about cutting Social Security benefits for those who don't need them? What about making people at least somewhat accountable for their own medical mistakes? How about making someone who starts a frivolous lawsuit pay the defendant's legal costs? Do you see any leader on the horizon who will jump on those bandwagons?

One of my favorite pictures was one that was circulating shortly after the last presidential election. It showed Michelle Obama working a free soup kitchen. A guy was there to get his free soup and he was taking her picture with a $600 Blackberry. Do you think that guy is accountable in any way, shape or form? Nope, he doesn't have to be worried because the government will provide for his lazy butt. Guess what? If we keep on giving away the store, we will eventually not have a store!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice