AppleBees opening in downtown Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancun Fun, Dec 13, 2007.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've never been to an Applebee's, but it sounds like El Porton, why would they put it right across the street from a restaurant that is the same? (I'd like to say I support Mexican businesses first, but since El Porton is owned by Walmart, it's just another big conglomerate anyway).

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not really an El Porton. Probably closer to a TGI Fridays in terms of food.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canuck - Kel, Kel, Kel. Have you never seen a Burger King at the same intersection as a McDonalds. A 7-Eleven with a Circle K. A Holiday Inn with a Choice Inn. A TGI Fridays across the street from a Bennigans.

Competition breeds business. And an El Porton is not remotely like an Applebees. But I bet EP's sales will even go up as more diners will now come to the area.

Hope to see you soon. "Holler" at me anytime after the 25th.

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J., yeah, there's always a McD's next to a BK back home, I just figured there were a LOT of locations in town lacking restaurants. Oh well.

We tried Applebee's last night, it was alright. I found it to be pricey, and not as good as a Casey's or a Kelsey's (such Canadian names, eh?). When I walked in and saw the bar/grill decor I was really itching for a big selection of "American/Canadian" appetizers, but all I could see was soups and salads. That said, the broccoli/cheese soup that Max had was really good. I had the asiago chicken, if it hadn't sat under the warmer as it apparently did, it would have been alright, but it was kind of cold and the cheese got a bit of a skin on it. Hubby had the chicken fingers (yes, we order like 2 year olds cause we try to get him to eat something, anything, he's a bit picky these days). The service was really quite good, our server was very attentive. Though, he gave us 100 pesos too much in change which we discovered on leaving the restaurant. He was surprised when we brought it back to make things right.

Overall, I might go back there again, I would like to try the steaks but it will be a "special occasion" at those prices.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canuck,

It was nice to finally meet el hubby. I will try Applebee's soon but Bundy tells me the same story about pricing and he compared it to those in the US which he could find menus for online.

The change story is funny. Yesterday I was at the Starbucks at Paseo Cancun. The lady gave me $4 too much in change. Should have been $1 but she gave me $5. I told her that was wrong. She argued and lost but still looked at me like I had 2 heads when I tried to give her back the money.

Hey, you saw me yesterday too. You would have mentioned it if I had 2 heads wouldn't you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice