AppleBees opening in downtown Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancun Fun, Dec 13, 2007.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the menu, looks nice, possibly see you in there soon!

As for bacon, in my opinion Danish Bacon is the best there is, nothng beats my mums fry ups, they're not quite heart attack on a plate like the ol english cafs, I mean fried bread, that's asking for heart disease!

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    jimelko - Steve is right. You need as many dining options as possible, no matter where you are. Vacationing is another thing as there are only so many meals you can eat in a week or so.

Other places:
    Isla Contoy at Mercado 23 was a hint that you like to adventure, even thoight it is only slightly off the beaten path. Here are a few other places, some of which are adventures.

The food court at Mercado 23. The first place, on the corner, has great, cheap breakfasts. Other options follow as you follow down this single sidewalk.

Unnamed place at the SE corner of Tulum and Lopez Portillo (where you would turn right to Puerto Juarez. Outside on the street. Fresh agua fresca with lots of options. Tacos and tortas de lechon (like veal, but pork) or cochinita pibil. I order sin grasa (wihtout fat). Yummy but go easy on the green salsa as it is big time spicy hot.

Isla Mujeres - go to Playa Lancheros or Playa Tiburon and have the Tix n Chic. It is mandatory if you go to the island. You can find Playa Lancheros on the map and Playa Tiburon is just past the turtle farm, both like on the way to Garrafon.

Super Carnes - in the plaza with Electra and Office Max. They keep going up on their prices but still a great bargain. A package deal for under $10 US includes Arrachera, choice of potato or grilled onion (or both for like $1 more), tortillas and a drink.

Pozoleria de Castillo - you haven't been to the Yucatan until you have had pozole. Just off Lopez Portillo one street west of the Pemex, which is just west of Uxmal. Thursday, Friday or Saturday for lunch.

I just remembered that this post, and the comments by jimelko were on the Life In Cancun board. So enough of these jewels that we locals have the opportunity to enjoy.

3. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I went to Applebys today but the official opening is Thursday.My daughter and I were lucky though as they were having a practice day and we were invited in to eat for free.
    The staff were super friendly and the service was good.

The food was ok, nicely presented etc but nothing to write home about.
    That said if I am Walmart and suddenly get peckish I would condiser nipping in there for breakfst again.

Tracey
    x

4. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    it's funny that Applebees serves breakfast in Cancun.

They don't serve breakfast in the US, at least not at any Applebees that I've been to.

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tracey UK,

I guess you are now teaching your daughter how to eat free. I heard you were good at this.

T.J.

6. jimelko

jimelko Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

This is an excellent skill to learn it will serve you well. My dad always said never turn down a free meal

7. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    TJ

Actually the tip we left for the waitress was the same as the check would have been. She was delighted. My daughter is about to embark on an 8 month trip around South America and will probably be able to teach me a thing or two on her return about being frugal.
    :wink:
    Tracey
    x

8. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Appelebees in Cancun

Ugh so much Americanization. I guess the gringos win with another restaurant. The sad part of all this is that I like the place and their menu. So I guess if I cannot find anything better I can always go to Applebees right before I hit Wal Mart.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey gabesz,

I see nothing wrong with Applebee's coming to Cancun. There are certainly Mexican restaurants in the U.S. Plus you can get nearly any kind of food in Cancun, even great German food if you go down to Pto. Morelos. The beautiful thing about this is that no one has to go there if they don't want to.

Hell, Mexico City has most everything American that is needed by anyone, including Krispy Kreme, but for some reason they do not have a Victoria Secret. I cannot wait for them to open here so that the beautiful Mexican ladies will look even more beautiful and I can finally stop having to import VS mdse for my lady friends.

10. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Applebee's isn't top shelf American food, it's as you said,....nothing to right home about. In fact, compared to other American chain reastaurants, I wouldn't even put it in the top 25.

Michelle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice