apostile

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Sep 4, 2007.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

just a quick one,

When I got married I had my apostile done on the birth certificate in the U.K , but a friend of mine is getting married, can they get the apostile here or does it have to be done in thier native country?

thanks in advance!

2. Wabash

Wabash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It has to be done in the country that issues the marriage certificate.

3. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i suspected that was the answer,

cheers for the info :shock:

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is their citizenship and where are they getting married? Are they in Mexico now? Just wondering to get a better idea of what they need.

When my wife and I got married in Mexico a few months ago we got our documents Apostil'ed here in the states to bring with us. Our wedding certificate was issued in Playa Del Carmen, so I am not sure if that makes much of a difference. The Apostile is just a certification of sorts to authenticate documents for international use.

5. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

She's Japanese, he's Mexican, they are here in Mexico and I just found out she didn't bring her birth certificate with her! :shock:

6. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well thats an even bigger problem :?

7. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi matt,

My wife is Mexican and I am British and for our marriage in Cancun I had to get my birth certificate translated in the UK by an official translator and then apostilled by a solicitor to show it is a legal document.

Your friend who is Japanese will have to do the same, however, I am sure it is possible for her to get someone to send her birth certificate (or copy) to Mexico and you find an official translator in Cancun that can do it for you and have it apostilled there, I have read about it somewhere, it was just easier for me to get it done in the UK first as I only had 2 weeks once I was in Cancun before we got married. The problem your friend will have is just getting the birth certificate sent and finding a Japanese/Spanish translator in this country, you may find if you contact the Japanese embassy in Mexico, they have contact details for official translators and they may be able to give your friend assistance with it all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice