Apartment hunting

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by limejello, May 14, 2013.

1. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *sigh* I know I haven't been around for a while, but that should change soon! I'm in Cancun right now apartment hunting :). I have just 2 more days to find something and I'm not having much luck. I have an appointment tonight to see an apartment, but something concerns me. I've had a couple of different people tell me that they have apartments, but they are currently occupied by other people who (supposedly) are going to move out by X date. They then put the pressure on to put some kind of deposit down to secure the place-- insisting that other people are interested in possibly renting it. But it seems insane to me to give someone money if they are not handing you the keys or otherwise providing some kind of concrete guarantee. Is this common? Am I being paranoid?

Also, there was a really juicy offer for a great apartment in a great area, and I was supposed to meet someone to view it. They told me that they were on their way to meet me at 10:55, then at 11:15 they texted me and told me that it had been rented. He's now been texting me throughout the day with offers for apartments that are 1,000-1,500 pesos above my budget (which I made clear to him). Bait and switch, don't 'cha think?

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. Matt_Diana

Matt_Diana Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You'd be nuts to give $$$ without getting keys in return. Sound like a scam to me....

3. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lime Jello, what exactly are you looking for in terms of rooms, sq. ft., and price, as I MAY underlined be ABLE TO HELP.

4. limejello

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm looking for something around $4,000 ($4,500 max) in the southern part of the city (e.g. Las Americas, Labna, around Parque Kabah, no further than Soriana La Luna). Sq. ft. doesn't really matter.

Necessary: 2 bedrooms, not a million miles from bus line to Hotel Zone

Preferable: No higher than 2nd floor (my suegra is coming with us and it's hard for her to climb a lot of stairs), area where kids can play close by (a park or quiet-ish street).

Would be nice: A patio (even a patio de servicio) so that we can hang clothes to dry. Furniture (or even just a fridge and stove).

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
    Whenever we have rented we have handed over the deposit at the same time as signing the rental agreement - we haven't always picked up the keys there and then but a legal contract would be in place for our protection. I'd be very wary of doing it any other way, especially if there are still tenants in place.

Re the 'bait and switch' certainly sounds like it - tell him you're not interested and not to bother you again. There are plenty of other real estate agents/landlords around and if you're lucky you might even find an honest one.

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will find what you are looking for in SM45.

Not the "fridge and stove" part, but the rest. small one story houses for that price with back yards, community pools etc. Or California apartments.

7. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. limejello

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found one! It's in Las Americas, and I sign at 5 (I decided to go with an agency). Thanks so much for the advice/suggestions!

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,206 / 14
  10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When is the housewarming party?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice