Anyone work in film or television production?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by JenMan, Aug 25, 2007.

1. JenMan

JenMan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My husband and I live in Toronto, Canada (my husband originally a Cancunian) and we try and spend a good chunk of each year (usually the colder chunk) in Cancun. Here in T.O. I work in T.V. as a television Host & Producer and have been slowly exploring my options for work in Cancun. Anyone work or know someone who works in the biz?

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Jen,
    I worked in film/tv in Toronto before I came to Mexico. Unfortunately, there is not much work here in the field and the work that is here requires pretty much 100% Spanish. There is also the matter of immigration, if a Mexican can do the job, they won't give you a visa to do it. I'm not saying it's impossible, just unlikely (trust me, I would love to get back into the field!)

There is only one tv station locally (TVCun) and it's entirely in Spanish. There is no commercial work here, everything is done in Mexico City. Some hotels have internal TV channels, but not many and again, Spanish is a necessity.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but there you have it! Good luck!

3. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Work in TV

We worked in television in Canada for many years before we moved five years ago. Now we still work in TV in the summer in Calgary.

We bought the bookstore because we realized it was going to be very difficult to get any TV work in Quintana Roo.

4. JenMan

JenMan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow what are the chances of finding two fellow Canadians who both know the business?

Canuck thanks for the post. I know it's not a very promising thought but I have some ideas that I figured might be worth exploring. And don't worry I didn't think you sounded like the voice of doom or anything. I know that's the reality of the situation and the odds are kind of against me but hey anything's possible, right?. :?

Alma by any chance is your bookstore in Playa? I met Jane from the IWC a year ago and this March when I was in Cancun, I'm pretty sure it was you she was telling me I should look up to ask about possible TV related work in the area, your thoughts etc.. I remember she told me about your store the last couple of days we were there and my hubby and I just couldn't find the time to come down.

Well it's nice to meet both of you and thanks for the feedback. At this point anything I'm dreaming up isn't a throw all your eggs in one basket kind of idea (well not immidiately).

I wanted to see if anyone might be crazy enough with me on a co-producer level to get involved? We would also need a local freelance camera op with gear. I have access to some awesome editing stations so I can take care of all the post. The idea is along the lines of lifestyle television. :idea:

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, funnily enough I just met a local HDV camera operator/video editor/titles designer this week when CTV interviewed me. I've got his card here, let me know if you want his info, he was a nice (bilingual) guy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice