Anyone recently Nationalized a foreign plated vehicle?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by JeffandShannan, Apr 13, 2013.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jeff and Shannon,

Thanks for the links. I will check them out asap.

I saw a broker who advertised on Craigs List and emailed him. He has not been good at answering my questions, and in spite of me answering his, he just avoids mine. The closest he got was to quote me $1,700 to import my car. I presume that is in dollars. It requires me taking my car to Matamoros/Brownsville, a 3 day each way drive. He tells me I CANNOT import it at the Belize/Mexico border, which I find hard to believe. Surely people drive foreign cars from other Central America countries and move to Mexico.

But the non answers that are important are how much time this takes, at itemized list of the costs (govt fees, taxes, customs broker fee) All I got is a total and no explanation. And just the gas, wear and tear, hotels, time, etc. to and from Matarmoros could be overwhelming, not counting the danger. PLUS, it makes no sense that the car has to leave the country if it is already here. Well, no sense to me anyway.

Cheers, you have me motivated. I talked to a guy today who is from the same place I am and he wants a decent car that is not a Mexican registered car.

2. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One down - Yucatec Living article. Informative, funny and 2006 and not in QR. It would be too much to hope that, in 7 years, laws would be the same.

Stay tuned. Hungry but on a roll.

DECIDED TO EDIT:
    I filled in the blanks, first using a $50,000 peso value at $12.00 exchange rate, making it $4,200 USD. Total Cost came to $44,845. Let's play with the numbers as this form used an exchange rate of $13.50.

Changing the value to USD, based on $13.50 got me down to $39,827. In real money I could draw pesos from my dollar account today at $12.10, so call it $3,300 US for a car that I can sell here for $4500-$5,000 US

I am not excited yet. There aren't many options as I am the second owner and don't think I have the Certificate of Origin. IGI is $25,000 and IVA is $12,000 in round numbers. IVA I understand. No idea of IGI.

Jeff, Cotizador de importación de vehículos para paisanos is what got me to the $3,300 "deal". So your next sentence does not seem like using this link is the answer. My inexperienced broker would be about the same as this deal, at 75% of value.
    The problem appears without an experienced Broker, you may end up paying a "Special commission"

ON TO THE NEXT LINK NOW.

Done. That one was fill in the blanks and wait.

CRAIGS LIST HERE I COME.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  3. JeffandShannan

JeffandShannan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi TJ
    We have just found a lawyer who specializes in Customs issues and he appears quite up on the recent Immigration changes and how it affects the foreign registered vehicles. Indeed, he is a former Sr Customs officer. I am proceeding with the Nationalization of our 2003 (10 Year old) Navigator for the "Total Cost" of 33,000 Pesos (He called Customs for their official valuation). Considering alternatives (I am not driving to the Norther Border!) if he delivers what he states, this works for us. He states the entire process will take him two weeks to a maximum of three. Stand by and I will update as thing progress. Once success is achieved (fingers crossed!!), I will Post his particulars...

Jeff

4. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck amigo. Where is the car now? And where is your lawyer located? Do you have a breakdown of the various fees adding to $33k? How does that fee compare to the form I used last night? I might like to contact him as certainly my 02 Escape is worth less than an 03 Navigator.

I really wanted to nationalize mine to make it easier to sell. It makes no financial sense to pay such a huge fee to aid in selling it.

But I should easily find a buyer who is foreign a d it should be pretty simple to accomplish a sale. Certainly easier than a trip to the northern border.

Thanks,

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Why not contact the Aduana, directly. Going through a broker, if it´s not truly necessary, will just add to the cost.

T.J., you´ve had some good experiences with ¨do it yourself¨dealings with Mexican officials, why not have a chat with them: they may prove to be helpful with the details you need if you would like to know for sure what would be involved in nationalizing the vehicle.

Any bites at any of the forums on your Desire to sell to a foreigner?

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V,
    A. Went to Aduana at the airport a few months ago, with my buddy Ruben, and we could not even get past Security. Told us we needed a Broker or Agent, that it could not be done "pro se". Bet you haven't heard that one in a while.

B. No bites. Think I will take some photos and post a notice here and on the PoMo FB page and Craigs List Yucatan. Should be easy enough to see a good, cheap, SUV.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    How many cars come in as air freight? You might have more luck at a port, such as Puerto Morelos.

8. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have the laws changed since 2008 now allowing the legal sale of foreign vehicles to others?

I know that my neighbors did buy one and had quite a scare when they were threatened with confiscation. May need to consider that in the asking price if the law hasn't actually changed to allow such a purchase legally.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You're probably right about that, Mole, but the discussion was of finding a buyer with a Temporary Residence and selling to them- taking the car to a border, or POE, to do the export and reimportation, allowing the vehicle to come in as a TIP, but in the name of the new owner.

This all has to be completed well in advance of applying for Permanent Residence to avoid the issue relating to a Permanent Residence not being permitted to have a TIP car.

10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi V,

If this question is directed to me, I doubt any come air freight.

BUT the main Aduana office in this area is at the Airport and it is a pretty big place. I was there for another reason many years ago. That is why I went there instead of PoMo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice