Anyone recently Nationalized a foreign plated vehicle?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by JeffandShannan, Apr 13, 2013.

1. JeffandShannan

JeffandShannan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking for a Customs broker in Cancun with experience to Nationalize a foreign plated vehicle. It is a Canadian/US built vehicle and is over 10 years old. From what I've seen here on older posts as well as other sites, it is possible, but a process which I would rather have done by a local professional.

Thanks

2. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Mr Mole,
    Things have changed since this post... I have gone on their website, put in the VIN \ and have confirmed the amount customs wants for my now 11 year old vehicle for import. I simply need a good/reliable broker (with experience) to assist....

Thanks

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Did you have a broker do it for you the first time? I can't imagine it's that hard to deal with if you take the car over the border, then re-enter with the intent to pay the duties, this time, rather than bring it in as a TIP car.

The nearest points of entry I can think of are the border with Belize, and the Port of Progreso. Even Puerto Morelos may be a point where Aduana functions and could handle this type of thing. P.M. is close enough to run down and talk with the personnel there.

If you've kept the Aduana informed through the years and not forfeited your deposit, you'd get it back, as I understand it, when you exit with the car.

T.J. might even consider going with you to gather info, given that he faces this issue fairly soon, himself.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am facing it now. I have had two customs agents/brokers tell me that the import tax is 75% of the market value, plus $50 US plus the broker's fee.

One of the broker's business card was given to me by Aduana at the airport.

The other broker, a friend of a friend, is now a casual friend of mine.

I am going to sell the car here to a foreigner and go to Belize so the buyer can bring it in on a temporary permit, like I have had on this car since 2006.

I give up. Any non Mexicans need a good condition White 02 Ford Escape. I am the 2nd owner and keep it serviced requlary by a local American mechanic.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    JeffandShannan,

Mr. Mole is a MRS. lol

7. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First off... Sorry Mrs Mole!

TJ, have a read of this; Yucatan Living » Yucatan Survivor » Placas

Also, Duty for a US/Canada/Mexican built vehicle is about 25%. I have received the official online quote for my vehicle. I think your "Friend" may be giving you some bad information, unless your car was not manufactured in a NAFTA country. Try putting your VIN in on this link and see what Aduana estimates "automatically"..;

Cotizador de importación de vehículos para paisanos

The problem appears without an experienced Broker, you may end up paying a "Special commission"

8. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This is one issue on which no "foot dragging" should take place. Any TIP car operated by a resident who intends to go to Residente Permanente should accomplish the nationalization of their car several months before they apply for the new resident status: this is because the new status works a cancelation of the TIP permit.

You could try to work around this but why allow yourself to get into that situation: keep it simple, deal with it well before the anticipated status change to permanent resident, and you will be a lot happier in my opinion.

10. JeffandShannan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good Advice V.
    Why potentially risk your Immigration Status or even your Trust over an old vehicle. I will report back what happens with the Broker we have found and if not cost effective, plan "B" is to export it to Miami (Cost between 1200 - 1500 depending on size of vehicle) where a used car dealer can "deal with it from where it came"!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice