anyone know if drinking on public streets is legal

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by paulman65, Jan 23, 2008.

1. paulman65

paulman65 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    jus wondering if its legal to drink on public streets in cancun,

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is not.

3. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you want to drink on street legally go to vegas :D

4. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    People have reported getting away with it on Isla Mujeres, but it is strongly not recommended.

5. paulman65

paulman65 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    got it thanks,

6. chaz517

chaz517 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    really? i honestly didnt know that, i have only done it one time, i was waiting in line at senor frogs the 1st night it was open since wilma and iw as in line foreverrrrr and we went across the street to oxxo and bought a 6 pack of dos and drank it in line with no problem at all. if i knew it was illegal i wouldnt have that. mexican jail seems scary llol

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Must admit I never knew whether it was legal or illegal and have done it a few times myself.

I did hear of someone at Temptations being shook down for a bribe at Market 28 for drinking a corona in the street a few weeks ago. Then again you see hundreds during Spring Break drinking in the HZ streets with tons of police around and nothing happens.

8. trigger2002

trigger2002 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Surely not the case as regularly would walk from hotel and get bus with drink in hand then once in party centre go to the store to get the 1 dollar beers and walked around the streets!?

hmm

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will see people walking around with drinks and open containers. And without quoting either my mother's "Just because everyone else does it...." or anything about lemmings, I will just make a couple of comments.

Law is one thing. Interpretation and application of law is quite another thing. That is the great thing about the law here in Mexico (from the point of view of a cop looking for a bribe)--it it "flexible" and can be interpreted by any official at any time in any one of many different ways!! (Always favorable to the person doing the interpreting.) People do lots of things in CAncun (and in "your" hometown whoever you are)that are illegal.

Chances are a single cop will not approach a group of 100 drunks on the street drinking their $1 Coronas and try to arrest, fine or bribe them. They look for ones that get separated from the herd!

So take your chances. Help out the local economy. Cops should make more money anyway.

10. CRAZYMIKE

CRAZYMIKE Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a question, Why would you want to drink in the street anyhow when there is a million places to drink..I quees you mean when you leave a bar with a drink or walk out a resort. Just put the drink in a cup I guess

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice