Anyone Know about calling cards or pre-paid cell phones?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by El Maximo, Apr 28, 2007.

1. El Maximo

El Maximo Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

This is my first post. I have been to Cancun twice (1999)-(2002). Stayed at the Gran Caribe and the Moon Palace. I will be returning again May 26 (OH YEAH! - VERY EXCITED!!!). The one bad thing I remember is paying 200 bucks in one week for long distance phone calls back to the states..(UGH). Does anyone know if any thing like pre-paid cell phone or an actual international phone card that actually works down there?

Thanks again - (This forum/website is awesome!) thanks to all who post!

2. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. margaritamom

margaritamom Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cell Phone

I've got Sprint PCS and have great reception in Cancun. You have to turn on your international calling feature through the carrier. I called to the States at least four times a day for seven days. My bill was $40 more than normal. I do pay an extra $4 a month for international calling. Worked great!

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sprint to my knowledge does not offer pre-paid service.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With regard to the original question and to the posts in this thead, I have 2 comments.

1. Your USA cell phone will not automatically work with the Telcel system and you need to get the "Sim Unlock Code" from your service provider. The phones in the US are typically set up so that you cannot buy a certain model from Sprint, for example, and then use it if you change to T-Mobile. Your carrier's customer service 611 call can get your sim unlock code emailed to you within 48 hours. The smplest thing to tell them is that you need to be able to use your cell phone with a Mexico cell carrier

2. The best thing for visitors to Cancun, in my opinion, is to rent a cell from Cancun Valet. A one time fee of $10. $.69 per minute with no taxes and PER SECOND BILLING. So a 20 second call is $.23 US. You have a minimum average daily usage fee of $5. So a week will cost you $35 minimum whether the phone is used one day or every day.

When you make your reservation you can furnish yp to 8 names and mumbers and they will be pre-progerammed into the phone. And you know your number in advance so you can give it out (or not) if you want people to be able to call you.

The equipment is new and compact. Yes we have high tech in Cancun.

You can make and receive calls to and from the US, Canada and in Cancn and the surrounding areas for this price.

I used this service for years without problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice