Anyone going to the US next week?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have two postage paid, letter size envelopes that contain time-sensitive material that needs to arrive in Los Angeles by January 13th. If anyone is leaving for the States, would you mind dropping these into a US Postal Service mailbox anywhere in the US? I'd be glad to deliver them anywhere in Cancun.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    M - I have a friend who is going, might be a pain to hook up with him and be in the middle, but if you don't find someone more directly I can make it happen.

3. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you can take to the mailbox center near market 28.... they should arrive their by that time but, best bet is fed ex...

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks RiverGirl, as always. I'll wait a day and see what happens.

Steve-I have a mailbox there, but outgoing is not particularly speedy. And I will admit that I could use FedEx, as I do for a lot of things, but 30 dollars for two pages in two envelopes is a bit stiff.

I get lots of DVDs this time of year. Those that come by FedEx or DHL arrive at the house, but those that are mailed have to be picked up at the Post Office. During December and early January I have to go down there almost every other day. I waited for 20 minutes this morning until they found someone to come to the frigging counter! The woman selling stamps and the woman shipping packages were more or less unoccupied but they adhere to their positions behind the counter and don't help at all.

A letter mailed from Germany or the UK will arrive in Los Angeles 2 to 3 weeks ahead of a letter mailed on the same day in Cancun. Why?

5. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    >A letter mailed from Germany or the UK will arrive in Los Angeles 2 to 3 weeks ahead of a letter mailed on the same day in Cancun. Why?

From what I understand - talking to somone from the USPS who got a tour of the mail sorting facility in Puerto Vallarta once - the mail arrives, all the sacks are emptied into piles on the floor of the warehouse, and they're hand-sorted for delivery. But they don't to FIFO. They do PCTMWIWITD.

Pile Closest To Me When I Walk In The Door.

6. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whoops - I was talking incoming - I imagine outgoing is pretty much the same. :)

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks-Done Deal

The check is in the mail, the goods are on the truck...

The envelopes found their way to the US yesterday, thanks to the forum. I'll have to go through the same deal in a couple of weeks. Only one envelope, though. I hope I can find another returning tourist :) .

And Drebert, you are so funny. I think the envelopes go from the pile on the floor to the examining pile on the floor, where anything of value is removed before delivering the empty envelope. If it's a large empty envelope they leave you a notice so you can go to centro and pick it up. Ask me how I know :evil: .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice