Anyone From The Uk Got Plans To Visit Soon?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Mkog91, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Also Cancun has moved to the Green Traffic Light from Yellow meaning fewer restrictions and higher capacities.

Green.jpg

2. Trish

Trish I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 0
    The only bad news is the FCDO (another useless bureaucratic office) hasn't changed status yet, they still advise against 'anything but essential travel' to Mexico, so our insurance will be invalid. I can still buy it though. I'm tired of waiting. I'm risking it. I don't care if I lose luggage or the flight is delayed or whatever, it's the medical thing that I worry a bit about. If me or the husband get injured or seriously ill, that's a problem. But how likely is that really, and FCDO could change it's status in the next 3 weeks too. At least I'm not paying nearly £4k to quarantine for nothing.

3. Ant&Ceri

Ant&Ceri Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 1
    Rolled the dice booked before they announced and cheap flight 08th November to Cancun :)

4. Trish

Ratings:
    +675 / 0
    Heads up for anyone with plans to travel soon. Even though Mexico is coming off red list 11 October, Foreign Office advice remains unchanged - Mexico is still on their shit list. They last updated their travel list 6th October and doesn't look like it will be changing any time soon.

So what does that mean? FCDO advice is separate to Government COVID advice for travel. FCDO's 'do not travel' list is usually reserved for countries with issues like civil unrest (chances of war) or pirate kidnapping (think Somalia) etc.

COVID has screwed up their sensitivities, the risk for COVID is minimal but the Foreign Office doesn't agree. The problem is that your holiday insurance will be void if you travel against FCDO advice, for majority of insurers it's a blanket 'invalid' for the whole policy. A lot of people won't realise this, and will assume everything's all good because Mexico is on the green list.

DO NOT FEAR! I did some digging today and found a company that will provide holiday cover, including destinations against FCDO advice. Basically it's the same insurance, but has a clause about them not covering COVID illness or cancellation due to COVID, and clauses about the civil unrest stuff (not needed in Mexico anyway!) I was expecting a hefty charge, but it was only £40 over what I'd normal pay for holiday insurance, so all in all it's a life saver!

Link if anyone needs it: Campbell Irvine

You fill in the form and one of their underwriters gets back to you with the cost. Oh and they also cover pre-existing medical conditions, as long as you've not had a change in medication in the last 12 months (if anyone needs that too). Just make sure to tell them about any conditions, otherwise I'm sure that would void your insurance too, you know what they're like!

5. Ant&Ceri

Ratings:
    +255 / 1
    Nice one. I’ll have a dig into mine and change / upgrade if needed.

6. dazzandlana

dazzandlana Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 0
    November 25th for 10 days for us. First TUI flight to Cancun was last Sunday. So I hope everything will be ok for our trip November 25th.

7. Paul Jones

Paul Jones Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 1
    Hope so booked for January x
    Enjoy

8. Trish

Ratings:
    +675 / 0
    Just navigated setting up the correct testing for when we get back. Rules currently - you need to fill in some passenger form for Mexican entry (just details, no tests or anything). Then, 2 days before we fly back need to fill in passenger locator form to get back into UK, which you'll need your vaccination passport for and proof of booking a Day 2 test for when you're back. No tests needed to fly back. Just booked and paid for the antigen test needed to be taken no more than 2 days after we arrive back...the approved testing provider's websites are flooded with requests right now, managed to get one Liverpool City Centre, meaning we now have to drive into the city jet-lagged and cranky from a week of partying, as none of the approved providers we looked at had home tests available (of course we could've stumped an extra £140 for the PCR ones though!) JOG ON.

This whole testing/barring entry thing is ridiculous. I'm frankly sick of it. COVID isn't going away. It's actually ramping up for winter. I'll be glad when we start treating it like flu.

At least my trip didn't get cancelled!!! I should be thankful for that!

9. Ant&Ceri

Ratings:
    +255 / 1
    Thanks for the update. I'm in the Middle East working so I have to navigate getting home 4 days before flying to Cancun then land back home and leave for the sand pit again 4 days later ..... should be fun.

Have you gone with Randox then?

10. Trish

Ratings:
    +675 / 0
    Yup. Randox

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice