ANY ONE NEED A DJ

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by djsmoothy, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's a polite way of putting it, Melissa. :wink:

2. nmarcks

nmarcks Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    How do they determine what job a Mexican can do or can't do???
    Seems to me to be a very gray area of the law. Realistically I would assume there could be a Mexican citizen capable of doing any job from teaching English to selling Time shares to being a Doctor.

Just seem like such a odd law/rule of thumb.

Nick and Renee

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mexican Immigration is trying to protect the Mexican economy from the evil aliens who come and take all the jobs. Basically if the job more or less requires that you be a native speaker in English, for example, then a foreigner can get permission to do that job.

Foreigners generally do not get permission to work as doctors, lawyers, DJ's etc. Although if you are a famous DJ, or other famous entertainer they will let you work here, though they often give you a time limit on how long you can work.

Lots of people here work without proper permission. But it's risky because one phone call, or one online form submission, to the Mexican Immigration service can get you deported (and your lawyer will not help you). It's better to play by the rules, such as they are.

And for those of us who qualify to it's best to become Mexican so you don't have these headaches...

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    This one always baffles me too.

There are plenty of Mexicans working as Ents staff and time share sales and no doubt many more that could, but aren't. Seems strange that those jobs have a high percentage of foreign workers whereas others don't.

I've often found foreigners from other parts of Latin America working in the service sector but only very occasionally folk from the USA or Canada - but they do exist.

5. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The law is no different in Mexico than here in the USA. It's designed to keep citizens employed at the highest rate possible. I have no problem with the law at all. I think citizens should have priority in job selection.

I would hate to not get a job that I am qualified for because they gave it to someone who isn't even a citizen of this country.

I'm not quite sure how they determine what jobs foreigners can do in Mexico, but I do know that here in the USA they have to advertise the job for a certain period of time and if they can't find any qualifed Americans to fill the slot, they can then offer the job to a foreigner. That's how we get alot of spanish teachers, math teachers and science teachers....there just aren't enough in the US supply.

Michelle

6. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    >There are plenty of Mexicans working as Ents staff and time share sales
    >and no doubt many more that could, but aren't. Seems strange that those
    >jobs have a high percentage of foreign workers whereas others don't.

That's because the hotels have a deal with immigration for a certain ratio of foreign to Mexican staff.

7. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In all companies the ration is 11 to 1 and remember that also includes Argentinians, Chileans, and any other Nationality, many times the bilingual advantage helps a lot.
    I was recently asked to work for a large Company because of my language skills... am still thinking about it.
    As to the DJ You might want to pass out our resume to places that have group events I know we do at Laguna Grill and many times a DJ is Hired.
    May not be your type of work, but a job is a job you never know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice