Any info on Ocean Dental?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Nashoba0716, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Nashoba0716

Nashoba0716 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi to all living in Cancun-
    I am checking into Dentists in Cancun. My first choice was American Smiles, however, I have been told they are no more.
    Wondering if anyone has any information about Ocean Dental in the Hotel Zone? Any other recommendations greatly appreciated.

2. Lenni & Jodie

Lenni & Jodie The Unicorn Hunters Registered Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Ocean Dental does get good reviews, I haven't been there. I have been to Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry a few times and was pleased with the treatment.

American Smile - I went there once, never again.

4. Nashoba0716

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve- thanks so much. Can you tell me where you heard the good reviews for Ocean Dental. People you know? Or just the word on the street kinda thing! :icon_surprised:

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Mainly just word on the street amongst people who live here and also a few mentions on Facebook from other fellow expats.

I think Mat Kirk may know a bit more, hopefully he'll see this.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A large number of English speaking Expats, as well as local Mexicans, use Dr. Mauricio Grassi. He speaks Spanish, English and Italian. His fees are reasonable by local standards. I have used him for cleanings, filling cavities and most recently for pulling a wisdom tooth. That was $800 pesos, less than $65 at the current exchange rate.

His office is on the downtown street that goes to the boats for Puerto Morelos and is a cheap and easy ride from the Hotel Zone.

His phone number is 998-154-5255. From the US, first dial 011-521- then this 10 digit number. If calling from a hotel here, it is considered a toll call and you would dial the 044 prefix, then his number.

Hope this is of some help. There is a private Facebook group page and this guy is the most recommended dentist without question. About service, when I had that tooth pulled, I stupidly forgot that I was taking a blood thinning medicine. I was having some bleeding and called Dr. Grassi and told him. He asked where I lived and came to my home after 10 pm to check on me.

7. Nashoba0716

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great- thanks for the all the information. I appreciate it. I am sure I will have lots more questions once trip planning gets underway. I have been to Cancun, but it has been 20 years, bet things have changed a bunch there since then.

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Dr Grassi is the guy that used to work at American Smile before it (apparently) closed down.

I had a root canal done there a few years ago. Like I said, I wouldn't go back to him.

The whole place looked like something out of a 60's horror movie. The Dentist was late for both appointments. I was the only person there, never saw or heard a single other patient over 4 hrs. X rays were developed in a cardboard box with jars of chemicals inside covered by a black sheet. When I returned (to complete treatment) a few days later nothing had changed in the treatment room, even the tools and utensils were in the exact same position they had been on my previous visit. I had a scale and polish and my gums bled (only time that has happened). A friend of mine had a nightmare experience there too but I'll leave the details out.

The main reason American Smile got mentioned so much online and by the Facebook group and on Trip Advisor in particular is because the owner is a member (previous President) of the International Womens Club of Cancun and they all promote their own and each others businesses - have been doing for years. A bit like the Freemasons.

9. Nashoba0716

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ahhh. that explains a lot. I appreciate the heads up, there!!
    I have spoken with Ocean Dental and even emailed with a former patient
    that I found on Trip Advisor, so it was totally out of the blue for her to get
    my email about the Dentist. She raved about them.
    Ocean Dental also gave me references here in the States, just have not had time to call them yet. So far, it looks good.
    I wanted some additional unsolicited reviews, especially from people actually there in Cancun. Bad publicity travels fast in a community, nice to NOT here anyone say "NO,NO,NO, right off the bat! :)

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got really messed up by the American Smile Clinic, and their facilities are definitely completely out of date.

So many nicer dentists to go to in Cancun. I got fixed up by Sunset Dental in the Hotel Zone and they were kind, modern, and very reasonable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice