Another tourist died today

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Feb 1, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I first started visiting Cancun it seemed like you were bulletproof and invisible. Sadly, that is not the case.

The news reports certainly are conflicting. If this guy took a swan dive my guess is that there was something other than beer and cocaine involved. If they were fighting, as some reports state, and it was a slip and fall tragedy, then that very well could be the booze.

In Daytona Beach, close to my home in Florida, idiots are always spashing down when they try to jump or climb from one balcony to another. And I am talking more than once a year. It is just hard to imagine anyone being so stupid, but the binge drinking takes over I guess.

I sent the article to my 21 year old daughter, who arrives here March 5, with 5 of her sorority sisters. I am already starting to worry as none or these 21-22 year olds have ever experienced a Cancun style Spring Break. And I think the kids are using me as their protector in the eyes of their parents.

You cannot legislate good decision making skills. I only hope I have done a good job.

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I took a look at the rails today at the Rui. They appear to come almost to the chest of most folks so I cant see anyone accidentally falling, only intentionally or "behaving stupidly" falling. As is the case with most of these things I expect.

As for loose rails, once in Florida I leaned against a balcony rail on a 22nd floor penthouse that was VERY loose, that gave a good 6 inches, but even with that I couldn't have fallen. But it did scare the bejeasus out of me. So short of the entire railing coming down (which I haven't heard of) I cant see that being a big cause of these things.

In general people are far too quick to blame hotels and others before taking responsibility's for their own actions.

3. Jan

Jan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok wasnt going to comment but felt that I had to. I actually knew Adrian and had done for a couple of years (he was a friend of a freind). There are lots or rumours / stories doing the rounds here but none of them actually seem to fit with the person I knew. All I know is a lot of people are very sad right now and I am not sure they will ever get to find out what happened to Aidy. My thoughts are with his family at this teribble time!!!

4. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim are you making fun of my siggie?? hee he

That is from an Eminem Song....

Well as sad as these things are, the reality is that they happen everyone. Unfortunately when you add booze and sunshine terrible things are more likely to happen.

Just look at the other canadian couple that was shot just on the weekend in their hotel right in the Lobby of Acapulco. It's all over the news over here again, And funny enough they are formt he same palce as the last kid who died there, and the couple that was murdered.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honestly, I find it rather annoying that whenever something happens here to a tourist the news in America or Canada will go on, and on, and on, about it with constant fear mongering about how unsafe it is in Mexico. Meanwhile a family can be wiped out in their own hometown and it will only get mentioned on the news once.

6. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh I agree. We say that in Canada every time someone stubs their toe over in Mexico you will hear about it over here in Canada... :roll:

7. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Love seeing footage

9. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw that report too on the news last night, (we're in MN too) and I am so looking forward to going back next week. I can't believe how cold the actual temps are here, plus the wind chill!! Cancun here we come.

10. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I clicked on the link to take a quick peek - and the first thing that came on the screen was the weather banner which said " - 15F ".

Ouch. Seeing that was worse than bad coffee.
    Maybe you should put a Shock Warning on your post (kind like we do for the kids about Mature Audiences sort of thing).

Why do people live in a place that gets sooooo cold??!
    (HOW do people live in a place that gets soooo cold?!?)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice