Another Shark Attack?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by LTL, Mar 25, 2011.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Novedades reports today that the girl in question has refused an offer from her government to repatriate her for medical treatment: she is quoted as saying she's satisfied with Cancun, and with her care at General Hospital, and does not wish to return to Russia, at this time.

I hope that is, in fact, the case!

2. SgtSamy

SgtSamy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Just look on Google.

The risk of shark attack can be reduced in many ways:

• [*]Always stay in groups. Attacks more often occur on solitary swimmers

[*]Avoid the water during darkness or twilight hours when sharks are most active and have a competitive sensory advantage

• [*]Do not wear shiny jewelry. It may reflect light in a manner similar to fish scales

• [*]Use extra caution when waters are murky or polluted

• [*]Avoid uneven tanning and bright colored clothing - sharks see contrast particularly well

• [*]Avoid swimming with an open wound or freshly speared fish

• [*]Avoid swimming far offshore, in channels, or over drop offs to deeper water

• Avoid erratic movements and swim smoothly, especially if a shark has been sited

3. Scoobie

Scoobie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well that just a list which tells you some ways to minimize the risk.

To quote you again:

I can't see anything in that list that guarantees you won't be attacked by a shark and would therefore validate the assertion you have made about everyone being pretty 'stupid' for being attacked.

The victim in question:
    Solitary: NO
    Darkness\Twilight: NO
    Shiny Jewellary: Not apparent from photos - just in a bikini playing beach volley ball.
    Murky water: Wasn't raining; was a sunny clear day much like any other.
    Spear fish/open wounds: no - just rinsing after beach volleyball.
    Deep water drop off; no - just rinsing off a few yards off shore after beach volleyball.
    erratic movements: no evidence of this -just rinsing after beach volleyball.

You managed to ascertain stupidity against that list?

Really, the only thing 'stupid' is your comment itself..
    (and pretty offensive to victims of shark attacks too).

4. gearbow

gearbow Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys should be ashamed

I know the majority of the posts were made shortly after the incident and there was misinformation given by the Mexican media but you guys should know better.

This woman did absolutely nothing wrong and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The lack of compassion in this thread is appalling ( except a few).

The victim has nothing but good things to say about Mexico and the hotel she stayed at and the hospital where she received treatment. She has actually returned and entered the water since then.

1. Was wading close to shore to rinse sand off after volleyball.

2. She was not taking pictures as some reports out of Mexico suggest. She did see men on seadoo's waving their arms just before the attack ( it was a attack). The men were yelling at her in Spanish which she did not understand. The men had scared or harassed the shark to where it swam ahead and into the woman's path. She had no time to figure what was going on.

3. She was bit up to three times as she made her way back to the beach.

I love Mexico especially Cozumel, but I would not trust the Media here as far as I could throw a 500 kg Bull Shark! I also love sharks and am a active advocate of anti finning and fishing in protected waters.

Why people figure they need to blame the victim is beyond me? With the exception of a few post , shame on you guys.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Interesting, that a new poster to this forum seeks out a thread on which there had been no activity for a year, and makes these statements-
    I invite readers to review the thread, as I did just now, and see if you don´t agree that the comments made were, for the most part, just general comments about the situation and that, apart from one poster who later changed his tune, the comments were sympathetic to the victim- if they referred to her at all.

I´m sorry that in your zeal to defend sharks, and their victims, you found it necessary to bite us.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  6. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting to say the least, V. I was excited to see the topic at first. Then when I discovered it was just a (time)warped rant, I was pissed. Gearbow, I would've welcomed you if you'd toned it down a tad; it's your first post, for God sake, man. Usually, newbies stat with "Hi", I'm new here." And/or "I appreciate the helpful info", ie niceness. Because basically there's a lot of niceness from people here; when you need help, they're there. Just saying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice